Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1

Default Sigma 50-150mm and Minolta 70-210mm

An update in hopes this could help someone else like me out there:

In my quest for better low light shots especially indoor shots I am upgrading my camera equipment (lenses)

bodies I am using......
A700 D-SLR
A200 D-SLR (Back-up)

I recently ordered a used Minolta 70-210mm bassed on a thread I started a and as asked for suggestion to my low light shooting problems and and it arrived last Friday. I thought I was getting a beercan but as TCav pointed out and helped me through the process its a 3.5-4.5 version of Minolta 70-210mm Film Lens.

Its a great lens from the outdoor shots I was able to take with it last week. But as I started to use it indoors in marginal light the AF motor slowed down and took longer to focus and the pictures were "a little" better than my 28-300mm but not as good as I was hoping.

I was able to get the 70-210 for under $150 shipped.

So after looking through some threads here and with the advice of TCav and Jim C I have ordered the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 lens. I was on the fence for a long time about ordering this lens as I am used to using 28-300 range for my work but after doing the research and the pro and cons I decided to get this lens. But what really got me to buy this one is that to get what I really want 28-300 f/2 or f/2.8 weighs 3x as much and costs at least 2x as much (out of my league). I will just have to learn to work with its range once it arrives. While it won't reach as far when I am in crappy light and indoors shooting events, this should come in handy.

For those who have not followed my threads I shoot a lot of fire and rescue stuff such as training, fires, wrecks etc. That is about 65 to 70% of what I do. The rest is large scale local events and government meetings. Maybe 2% family and landscapes.

Once I have gotten the 50-150mm and had a chance to test it, I will report back on how it works out for me.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:11 PM   #2

Thanks for posting Dave-

We will be looking forward to see how the Sigma 50-150 works out for you.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:00 PM   #3

Ditto.

... and sorry the 70-210 didn't work out.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:08 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
But what really got me to buy this one is that to get what I really want 28-300 f/2 or f/2.8 weighs 3x as much and costs at least 2x as much (out of my league).
You can't buy a 28-300mm f/2 or f/2.8 lens for a dSLR. ;-)

It's just not practical to make one (it would be too large and heavy, and optical quality would be too difficult to control in a lens with that much focal range from wide to long).

If you need f/2.8 at 300mm right now, you'd be limited to the Sony (or used Minolta) 300mm f/2.8 which sells for $6299 and weighs just over 5 pounds; or a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 (less expensive at around $3299).

If you need something brighter than f/2.8, you'll need to go with primes (fixed focal length) versus zooms. The only zoom lenses you'll find for dSLR models with f/2 available are the Zuiko 14-35mm and 35-105mm f/2 lenses for Olympus 4/3 system cameras. Nobody makes an f/2 zoom for other dSLR camera mounts. Here's the Zuiko 35-100mm f/2 (the world's first f/2 zoom for an interchangeable lens SLR). Due to the smaller sensor used in 4/3 system cameras, camera design and registration distance, it's more practical to make one for this mount.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1335

Please let us know how you like the Sigma when you get it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:42 PM   #5

Jim C thanks for the info.....

I must have been thinking of the 70 - 200mm lens

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11033557

or the 300mm f/2.8

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ber=SAL300F28G

I will let you know about the Sigma when I get. Have a chance to use it for a fire rescue awards dinner Saturday if it arrives in time...... Will need to take 500 or so pictures so whatever I use will get a workout.

dave
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
... Have a chance to use it for a fire rescue awards dinner Saturday ...
That makes it sound like there are Fire & Rescue people that don't get awards, and that doesn't sound right.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:23 AM   #7

We have about 190 members combined and 17 awards....

Yeah everyone should get an award but it doesn't work out that way

dave