Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:19 PM   #1

Default Sigma 50-150 f/2.8

My new Sigma lens arrives today. 50-150mm f/2.8 (one of the newer series of this lens). I have not had a chance to test it out yet. Hope to do so this weekend. So far all I can say is the lens is longer and heavier than I imagined it to be. Its almost too long to fit in the camera bag and can't be help attached to the camera body if the bag is to close. I know it has to be heavier because of the glass involved.

Will report back when I have a chance to test it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:27 PM   #2
Administrator

That's one reason I tried to steer you towards that particular lens in the focal range you use more often (size and weight).

It's a much smaller and lighter lens compared to the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses available. For example, the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 weighs in at around 48 ounces. The 50-150mm f/2.8 is only 27 ounces. ;-)

Because the 50-150mm is designed for cameras with APS-C size sensors, they can make it smaller and lighter compared to lenses needing to project a larger image circle to work on camera with 35mm size film or sensors.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:33 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Wouldn't you hate to lug this one around (Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8)? It weighs in at over 34 pounds. :-)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:06 PM   #4

I really appreciate that Jim C. I can only amazing what aomething with a 300mm focal length would weigh. I appreciate the help you, TCav, Hard80 and Sarahgave me to get this lens. I will mainly be using the lens for indoor low light shooting should be taking about 500 pictures Saturday.

dave
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:18 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Photo 5, congrats on your new purchase.

I am looking forward to your thoughts and examples! Have fun!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:40 PM   #6

Had a chance to use the lense today -- although I have not had a chance to review the images on my computer yet. I took approx 300 pictures at a Toy Lift event (The Charlottesville Toylift at the Fluvanna Location, that collects toys and cash for area families that can not afford to give gifts to their kids. I took pictures in bright light/sun and also after the sun went down with park lot lights. From reviewing them on the camera screen the images have more detail and are brighter than the normal 28-300 lens I have been using. Also I was able to focus faster in lower light.

There were a few shots that I could not go as wide as I wanted but I will need to get use to its range. Have two major events to photograph tomorrow and will report more back when I have time and hope to post a few pictures as well.

dave
Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:59 PM   #7

Used the lens tonight at an awards dinner, The lens worked out really well and from just doing a quick cull of the photos taken they look really nice.

will report more in the coming week as I get to editing the photos of this week.

dave
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:33 PM   #8
Super Moderator

glad initial impressions are good dave. look forward to seeing some!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:24 PM   #9

I have been through all the images and they are impressive. I don't have time to post any now. Will do so this week. I am in the middle of burning discs and editing photos

dave
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:01 AM   #10

Everything sounds very positive, Dave-

The Sigma 50-150mm seem to be right in the range you needed. I am glad to hear that you are happy ith the new lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote