Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:02 PM   #1

Default Sony a330 a380 and Nikon sensors

Hi, I just have so many questions! I looked and looked and could not find the exact info I was seeking, so decided there must be some Sony geeks here that could help:
My new Alpha 380 and wifes Alpah 330 both have regular ccd sensors, I think? Is that correct?
OK, the 380 is 14 mp and the 330 is 10 mp, but are they the same area, I could only find the measurements for the 330. I wondered if they had the same quality regarding noise and iso being pushed to the high end.
And and are these a good choice for our cameras, as all my friends who have canon and Nikon say "oh, they dont have a cmos sensor" like that is bad.
Please offer your insite, info and opinions, as I am eager to learn. My wife and I are both avid point and shooters, but these are the first dslr cameras we have owned. I do have a cool f828 that I feel is still a pretty good old camera.
We will shoot lots of outdoors, land scapes, houses and macro shots of nature and wild life. Dark shot and some weddings, holidays, ect.
THanks So Much,
James

Last edited by Wapas; Dec 11, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Wapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:05 AM   #2

Double post

Last edited by Hawgwild; Dec 12, 2009 at 12:23 AM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:21 AM   #3

James, I am by no means a geek, but I can tell you with certainty that the A330 and A380 have exactly the same size sensor. In fact, it is bigger than the Canon, technically.. The difference between the sensor on your camera and your wife's is number of pixels. You have more, about 4,000,000 more. While that will give you a lot of pixels to sacrifice when cropping, it will, all other things being equal, give your wife the edge in high iso performance, but probably not by much ...

As far as the whole cmos vs ccd war, it depends what side your on. Here's a link to a good explanation of the differences.

http://www.dalsa.com/public/corp/Pho..._Litwiller.pdf

Enjoy your cameras, they are very good for what you plan to do with them, and don't fall victim to snobs ...

Robert

Another, more recent..http://www.photo.net.ph/blogalicious...gital-cameras/
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:11 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapas View Post
And and are these a good choice for our cameras, as all my friends who have canon and Nikon say "oh, they dont have a cmos sensor" like that is bad.
The Sony A330 uses a Sony 10MP CCD Sensor. The Nikon D40x, D60 and D3000 also use a Sony 10MP CCD Sensor (as did some of the older Nikon models like the D80 and D200). The A380 uses a Sony 14MP CCD Sensor (none of the Nikon models are using this one). The Sony A500 uses a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor (the Nikon D5000, D90, D300 and D300s also use a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor). The A550 uses a Sony 14MP CMOS Sensor. None of the Nikon models use a Sony 14MP sensor yet.

When judging a given camera model, I'd look at how well it performs, versus what type of sensor it's using. The Sony 10MP and 14MP models do have higher noise levels compared to the next models up in the lineup at higher ISO speed settings. But, you'll see the same thing with entry level models from other brands.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:20 AM   #5

Your questions were about Sony dSLRs, yet you posted them in the Sony Point & Shoot forum, so they're not likely to get a lot of attention.

Yes, the image sensors in your A380 and her A330 are the same physical size. And yes, because the A380 packs more photoreceptors into the same small area, there is likely to be more image noise from errant pixels, but each photoreceptor contributes less to the entire image than in the A330, so image noise is also less noticeable.

As to CCD vs. CMOS, each has its advantages and disadvantages, but in the grand scheme of things the differences are minor and not something that should steer you away from one camera and toward another.

For what you say you want to do, Sony dSLRs are a good choice. Sony uses sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body so any lens is stabilized. Canon and Nikon rely on optical image stabilization in the lenses, so the selection of stabilized lenses is smaller and they are also bigger, heavier and more expensive. As an example, you say you want to shoot macro. Sony has two macro lenses, and third parties also make macro lenses for Sony dSLRs, all of which are stabilized on a Sony dSLR. Nikon only has two stabilized macro lenses, Canon only has one, and no third party lens manufacturers make macro lenses that would be stabilized on a Canon or a Nikon dSLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:25 AM   #6
Administrator

Now moved to the correct forum.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote