Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:50 AM   #11

Superzoom lenses (18-200, 18-250) are convenient, but that's all they are. As a rule, they all have significant distortion at the wide end, significant chromatic aberration at the long end, and are soft throughout their zoom range. As JimC siad, multiple lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges will give you better photos, and they'll cost less.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:17 PM   #12

I would surely stay away from the Sony 18-200mm lens it has been poorly rated in both user and professional reviews. For a long time, before I got the Sony 55-200mm lens, I used a Sigma 18-125mm lens with excellent results. It can usually be picked up for around $(US)100.00.

However, at least here in the USA, the used price of the highly reviewed Sony 55-200mm lens has also fallen to around $(US) 100.00. Given a choice I would go with the A-230, with the Sony 18-55mm kit lens and the Sony 55-200mm lenses. And yes, the A-230 is a very comfortable fit for my smaller hands as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:21 AM   #13

thank you all for your help. Does anyone have any opinion on battery grip below. It's way cheaper than the SONY one.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...i_sku=11988364
phamj57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The newer 18-250mm (versus older 18-200mm) is a much better lens (higher optical quality). But, you'll get better quality compared to either one of them by using more than one lens to cover the same zoom range (for example, a two lens kit with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses).
I liked the A230...it took great pix, reasonably good AF too. The menu on the back was very good at 'explaining' to this new user. The 55-200 is a good lens. I think it was even better the the 18-55 for sharpness. The reason I didn't keep the camera is that i felt that I'd out grow it too soon. Yet if one keeps in mind that its a 'system' we are buying..the sony system isn't too shabby. It will be easy to upgrade the body in the future and you'll still have a couple of great lens to use...that being said, at the A230 price point, the body is pretty cheap here.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamj57 View Post
thank you all for your help. Does anyone have any opinion on battery grip below. It's way cheaper than the SONY one.

The after market battery grip will work fine, honestly it is really not worth the money for the more expensive sony made one. With the remote and addtional power pack, it seems a very good deal. And I have seen the price of the sony grips in the stores in Germany, and they are really pricey.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:59 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamj57 View Post

For what camera? That grip is not going to work with an A230 (and AFAIK, Sony doesn't offer one for that camera yet).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:07 AM   #17

Good catch Jim, i got caught up with the features.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:19 AM   #18
Administrator

Since Sony hasn't released one for it yet, I doubt they're going to. It's designed to be a smaller and lighter camera and they've never announced a grip for it. So, it probably doesn't have the correct electrical contacts for one.

I haven't noticed any third party grips for one yet either. But, that doesn't mean that someone won't manufacturer one for it if there is enough demand. You do sometimes see third party grips designed to use separate cables for the power and shutter release for cameras that don't have one available from the camera manufacturer.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote