Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:03 PM   #1

Default Tamron 18-200 has rendered my A100 useless

lol. For indoor use in dim settings at least. It's not a fast lens anyway (3.5-6.5), but from testing it at work under flourescent lights, toward the long end I really need ISO 1600 which just aint gonna happen with the A100. I was going to use it this weekend at a dinner, but I dont think that is going to be possible to capture moments if a person is moving even in the slightest. Other than that I really like the versatility of the lens. But i guess my 50 1.7 will have to suffice.
I do have one question, this lens hunts even more than my 70-300 di ld. If/when I upgrade cameras will I be helped out in that regard, or is this something that is totally lens related?

Last edited by antonlm; Dec 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM.
antonlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:08 PM   #2

That lens is dim. If you want to shoot indoors without a flash, you need a faster lens. Changing cameras won't change that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3

Thanks TCav! I was referring to the hunting when I asked if changing bodies will help. but its all moot. I will be sending the lens back tomorrow, the hunting is driving me crazy. Like I mentioned it is way worse than my 70-300. So in about a week I will have that 289 back. Since using it I have really enjoyed the wideness it affords. My kit lens is pretty bad in comparison, so I was thinking of getting the new 18-55 sam lens. I have seen pics and they are pretty promising. I can get one new for 199.00 and use the rest to get a new tripod since my old one wont tighten anymore. Any advice?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:31 PM   #4

$199 is more than half the price of a replacement dSLR. The A230 is $450 with the kit lens. That same kit lens adds $100 to the price of other dSLRs that are available without it. That would make the A230 body worth $350.

If you're going to spend $200 on a lens, put it toward something like the $369 Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 Macro instead.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:50 PM   #5

Hmm... thanks for some food for thought! then again I was also thinking of the HVL-F42AM. I think I may just get that and get the sigma in a couple of months. What do u think between that flash and the minolta 3600 or even the metz 48 af-1? If there is a site that discusses various flashes for the sony please let me know and I will start investigating.

On edit I see a thread that just may answer my question. Ill look at it.

Last edited by antonlm; Dec 30, 2009 at 9:16 AM.