Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:33 AM   #1

Default A330 - customised settings

Hello all,

I am a new user who has just discovered this great site while looking for information on the Sony Alpha 330. I have had a Finepix S5000 for the last 4 years and while I love some of the pictures I can produce with it, I have been thinking for a while about stepping up to a 'proper' DSLR.

My better half brought me the A330 for Christmas, lucky me. If I'm honest its not one of the cameras I had considered when I started looking for a suitable DSLR last month, but I am plesantly surprised, and it looks pretty good so far (although the viewfinder is disappointing and almost impossible for me to use with my glasses on!).

This is a big step up for me so I'm trying to read the manual and also a DSLR course book I have in order to start getting a better understanding of all the functions. I have read in a couple of reviews that the A330 takes a decent picture once you change from the default settings. Now I appreciate that customised (or customized for my friends across the pond ) settings are a personal thing, and will vary from person to person, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend their settings to me? Something I can use away from the default settings until I find my own preferences.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved

Linus

Last edited by Linus; Dec 29, 2009 at 5:46 AM.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums Linux, and congrats on the new A330.

Because Sony uses a separate Live View sensor in the viewfinder housing (so that it can see the same image that is normally projected to the optical viewfinder when you're using Live View), the Viewfinder is smaller on the A330 and similar models.

I'd suggest getting a Sony FDA-ME1AM Magnifying Eyepiece. Here's a review of one:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report

As for settings, some of our members like to use these with that model:

Contrast -1
Sharpness +2
Saturation +2

If you press the Fn button and select a Creative Style (for example, Standard), you can change those settings. But, you may want to try it with the defaults and see how you like it that way, as if you have too much sharpening in camera, it can result in artifacts; and you can usually get better results by using an image editor and tweaking things like Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation to taste later.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:01 AM   #3

The Auto and P modes are very similar to what you're used to with your S5000. You can get your feet wet there, but you may want to experiment with A mode and use the control dial to adjust the aperture. This will give you a lot of opportunity to experiment with depth of field and with using available light, something your S5000 isn't capable of.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:27 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Welcome to the forums Linux...
Oops.. Make that Welcome to the forums Linus versus Linux.

I must have been thinking of Linus Torvalds and Linux at the time. My apologies.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Oops.. Make that Welcome to the forums Linus versus Linux.

I must have been thinking of Linus Torvalds and Linux at the time. My apologies.
LOL, Jim, you've got to stop thinking about Linux so much, it's no good for your health.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Administrator

I dunno about that. I find it far less stressful than Windows.

I've got two PCs with Windows related issues right this minute. For example, my wife's laptop won't install SP1 under Vista (I haven't gotten to SP2 yet with it).

The last time I tried it, the progress bar actually made it to 100% during the last stage of the update (further than it normally gets), then decided that it couldn't complete the update and backed out the changes. After multiple attempts (disabling the Firewall, Virus protection and more to see if some kind of software conflict was causing it), I gave up on it until I can take some time to download the Service Packs separately and try installing them that way, versus using the update features built into Windows. If not, I'll have to troubleshoot it a bit further and get to the bottom of it if I want a patched system.

I've got a similar issue on an older PC running XP Pro (it refuses to install the latest Service Pack). I don't use Windows very often (and my wife never uses it on her laptop). So, these are not pressing issues, and it's probably bad for my health trying to fix them, as that kind of thing can be very frustrating with Windows.

Since I switched my wife to Linux a few years back, I've spent far less time helping her with PC related issues. From my perspective, that's a good thing. :-)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:06 AM   #7

Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful suggestions.

Jim - To be honest, I hadn't even thought of getting a magnifying eyepiece, but I will be ordering one of these (although they seem to be hard to come by in the UK so might have to ship one in from Japan or the States). No problem re the name

TCav - I loved messing about with the shutter speed and apature on my S5000, although the extent to which I could change these were limited by DSLR standards (max 2 second shutter speed IIRC). I'm looking forward to taking this forward and learning more about white balance, ISO settings and such.

Just ordered a nice new camera bag as a treat, I might also order a spare lens cap in advance, I'm bound to lose it, shame its not attached.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
... I might also order a spare lens cap in advance, I'm bound to lose it, shame its not attached.
Actually, I once tried attaching a cap to a lens. It was more of an annoyance than losing a cap. But having a spare is a good idea.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote