Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:21 AM   #1

Default Prime lense for a sony a300

Im concidering a prime lense for my sony a300. the one im concidering is a minolta 50mm 1.7 . Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:25 AM   #2
Administrator

That depends on what you want to use it for and the conditions you're shooting in (how much room you have, etc.).

In primes for my Sony A700, I have the Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8 AF lenses; and the 50mm is probably my least used prime. Indoors in tighter quarters, I'll usually go with the 28mm; and for low light events (plays, etc.) where I have more room, I'll usually go with the 100mm.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:06 AM   #3

The 50/1.7 is an inexpensive way to get started, and as such, people that expand their collection of primes often hold onto it even when they have others.

Because of it's relatively narrow angle of view (on an APS-C body), it's not very appropriate for indoor and group shots, but it works well for couples portraits and environmental portraits.

And it's cheap! What the heck?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:40 AM   #4

Earlier this year, I wanted a prime lens for my A300, so I got a SAL50 f/1.4. I thought I would use it more, but I haven't. I find that sometimes I have to make myself use it and zoom with my feet. When I do that, I am very impressed with the resolution and IQ of the lens. It's also very good for portraits indoor and out. The sharpness of these primes can't be beat. If you can get the Minolta for a reasonable price, it will pay for itself pretty quick.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:44 AM   #5

Thanks guys. That really gives me plenty of food for thought. I have been looking for a lense for portraits and scenery so I think both the 50mm ans the 28mm would be great additions. I do not have a great deal of room in the so called studio I have aprox. 15-20 feet of movment to make up for lack of zoom.
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:23 AM   #6

Comparatively speaking, the 28/2 is outrageously expensive, as is the Minolta 35/2. For 'head and shoulders' portraits, 50mm is short, and the 85/1.4 is also outrageously expensive. Tamron recently introduced a 60mm f/2.0 macro lens that's closer to being a good portrait lens than the 50/1.7 or the new Sony 50/1.8 DT, but it's also expensive. Sigma has a 70mm f/2.8 that's also a better focal length for portraits, but it is similarly expensive.

Let's face it: Compared to the 50/1.7, anything is expensive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:35 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Comparatively speaking, the 28/2 is outrageously expensive...
I like mine. ;-)

Another option would be the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. This is a DT lens (meaning it's designed for cameras with an APS-C size sensor, so you couldn't use it on a model with a 35mm sensor or film size without cropping (or using the crop mode in models like the A850 or A900 so that the camera automatically crops the image for you).

But, for a models like your A300 using an APS-C size sensor, it would probably make a good bet for existing light shooting. It's around $439 now.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:02 AM   #8

Default Prime lens or primary lens.

A prime lens is one that has a fixed focal length. A primary lens is one which stays on the camera the greatest length of time. My favorite, and only, prime lenses for my Sony A200 are my 300mm f4 Pentax SMC Takumar and my 500mm f8 LZOS MC 3M-5CA. The 500mm is fast becoming also my favorite primary lens as I do a lot of long range photography.

Last edited by Streets; Jan 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
A prime lens is one that has a fixed focal length. A primary lens is one which stays on the camera the greatest length of time. My favorite, and only, prime lenses for my Sony A200 are my 300mm f4 Pentax SMC Takumar and my 500mm f8 LZOS MC 3M-5CA. The 500mm is fast becoming also my favorite primary lens as I do a lot of long range photogrphy.
Super. Thanks for posting, and and try not to be such a stranger (as it looks like your last post here was over 6 years ago). :-)

BTW, if you're not aware of it, Sony also offers a 500mm f/8 Autofocus Reflex lens (rebranded Minolta) if you want a similar lens with AF. You can usually find the Minolta branded lens on the used market for around $400.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:44 AM   #10

I have Sigma 24/2.8 and Minolta 50/1.7 , both are very sharp, Minolta have charachteresical warm colours and a like it better. Outdoors I use S 24/2.8 + C-PL -> fantastic results. Minolta 50/1.7 + hoya UV 49mm has fantastical results in portraits and in low light.... BR!
gcizmesi is offline   Reply With Quote