Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:42 AM   #31
Administrator

In some ways, Thom Hogan may have a point with his 2010 predictions (or speculation if you prefer), too. Sony may be trying to see what works, and marketing research alone may not be the fastest way to find that out. :-)

Quote:
Sony's using a shotgun to hit the target, then going back and finding which pellet hit the target and trying to figure out the gun that would do that by itself.

http://www.bythom.com/2010predictions.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:58 AM   #32
Administrator

IOW, like it or not, consumers are probably looking at things like fewer megapixels versus higher megapixels (as in the 12MP models versus the 14MP models), Live View usability (as in the models with tilting displays versus the models with non-tilting display), Display resolution (as in the models with lower versus higher resolution displays), and more.

What sells better? That remains to be seen. But, they're a business and they're probably going to try to figure out what consumers want, whether or not those features are important for getting better photos.

Market research only goes so far towards that, and they're probably using multiple models to help determine what they should focus on more for long term strategy. Of course, that's only speculation. But, you see the same type of thing in the point and shoot market from virtually all of the major manufacturers, and the entry level dSLR niche is rapidly becoming more like the point and shoot niche, as more new digital camera buyers go that route.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:11 PM   #33

I really think that Sony is just trying to get more space on dealers' shelves. When sombody walks into a camera store and sees 3 Canon, 3 Nikon, and 6 Sony dSLRs they can afford, they are likely to think that Sony is a major player. In Europe, they are, but this strategy is just to sew that up. I really don't think that, in the abscence of an A450, people would buy a Canon T1i or Nikon D5000 instead of an A380 or A500.

IOW, the A450 doesn't add anything to the Alpha line-up. What it does, I'm afraid, is delay price drops and reduces the potential for special deals.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:52 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I really don't think that, in the abscence of an A450, people would buy a Canon T1i or Nikon D5000 instead of an A380 or A500.

IOW, the A450 doesn't add anything to the Alpha line-up. What it does, I'm afraid, is delay price drops and reduces the potential for special deals.
I would buy it instead of the other Sony models if I were looking for a camera in the entry level niche, since it's likely to sell for a lower price compared to either the T1i or D5000 (competing more with the lower priced Canon and Nikon models instead of the ones you're mentioning); with more of the features I'd care about (i.e., faster frame rate, better viewfinder).

IOW, I wouldn't pay more for the Live View with Tilting LCD features on the other Sony models for the way I'd use a camera if there were a lower cost alternative to them (and that's what the A450 appears to provide).
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:07 PM   #35

That's what I mean. The A450 just further segments Sony's offerings. It won't take marketshare away from anybody else. It just makes Sony's display case appear fuller than the display cases for Canon and Nikon, thereby potentially increasing attention.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:46 PM   #36
Administrator

If that's what ends up happening, Sony would probably think that's a good thing. :-)

But, I suspect that most vendors are probably going to stock the models that sell better.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:12 PM   #37

A450 is available in Europe only, it seems.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:21 PM   #38
Administrator

Correct. That appears to be the case from what everyone is being told by Sony in the U.S. so far. See the post from Billy about it earlier in this thread here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...ml#post1036032