Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:22 AM   #1

Default A good general pupose lens for an a200...

As I have been getting to grips with my a200, I notice (surprise!), that the zoom lens that came with it is not very good. This mainly shows in colour fringes on bright objects.

So I'm looking for a decent general purpose lens, preferably something with a decent zoom range that will do 90%+ of what I want. I tend to use the wide angle end more than the zoom end, and I am looking for the best bang for the buck, rather than the best or the cheapest.

One I noticed was the sigma 18-200mm, which certainly has the range I need, though it is a bit more than I was hoping to spend... Is this good value? Any other suggestions?

Nick
starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:21 AM   #2

No.

If you dislike the chromatic aberration with the lens you've got, you're going to hate the 18-200. In fact, you'll probably hate all superzoom lenses.

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 is much better and faster than the kit lens you've got, and it's not very expensive. The Sony/Zeiss 16-80/3.5-4.5 and Tamron 17-50/2.8 are excellent, but more expensive. In fact, Sony's new 18-55 kit lens is an improvement over the lens you're using now.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
No. If you dislike the chromatic aberration with the lens you've got, you're going to hate the 18-200. In fact, you'll probably hate all superzoom lenses.

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 is much better and faster than the kit lens you've got, and it's not very expensive.
Better faster cheaper! I like that combination, Thanks!
Nick
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:54 AM   #4

Nick-

I was able to pick up a Sigma 18-125mm lens for my A-200 very inexpensively, and I happily used it for a long time, before going to the Sigma 17-70mm lens which is a much better lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase1 View Post
Better faster cheaper! I like that combination, Thanks!
Nick
I said "not very expensive"; I did not say "cheaper."
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:59 AM   #6

The Sigma 18-125 that mtclimber mentioned is an improvement ove the kit lens you're using now. But when you say "... I tend to use the wide angle end more than the zoom end ...", it makes me think that you wouldn't use the longer focal lengths it affords. And the slightly wider angles of view provided by the Sigma 17-70, the Tamron 17-50. and the Sony/Zeiss 16-80 may give you more flexibility at the wide end.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
No.

If you dislike the chromatic aberration with the lens you've got, you're going to hate the 18-200. In fact, you'll probably hate all superzoom lenses.
I am using a Tamron 28-300mm and it has less chromatic aberration than my original Sony kit lenses had..... Although it does have a little just not as much......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:18 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Another vote for the Sigma 17-70, I had one with the Konica Minolta 5D (same mount as Sony) and now use one with a couple of my Canon Bodies.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:09 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the advice, I have just ordered the 17-70mm lens, and I'm hoping it can make it through the snow for the weekend!

Nick

Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nick-

I was able to pick up a Sigma 18-125mm lens for my A-200 very inexpensively, and I happily used it for a long time, before going to the Sigma 17-70mm lens which is a much better lens.

Sarah Joyce
A direct comparison is the perfect answer to the question, many thanks.