Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:19 PM   #1

Default A230 fast enough for waterdrops?

I'd like to photograph water drops with my Sony A230 since my main camera is being repaired, but I'm wondering, is it fast enough? It only has a burst mode of 10FPS, but is that fast enough?

And yes, I'm too lazy to set everything up to see if it will work or not.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:25 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Any DSLR is more than enough to capture water drops.

should be no problem at all.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

It's not to do with now many fps a camera has and even shutter speed isn't going to be key but rather using the pulse of the flash to do the freezing.

Not sure if you saw the recent series I posted http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...130-water.html but these are all at 1/13s yes that's right very slow. The shutter speed didn't have an effect, it is the flash doing all the work. The pulse of the flash is really fast so I controlled the exposure with flash power, aperture and ISO.

It is also more about getting the timing right rather than trying to machine gun it to get the shot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:12 PM   #4

Ok thank you for the help guys.

I have not had time to do it yet, but I think I will try to do it Monday since its Martin Luther King, Jr. day.

Is the flash necessary though? Burst mode is much faster without flash, and my lightbox has more than enough lights.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
... It only has a burst mode of 10FPS, but is that fast enough?
Actually, the A230 only goes to 2.5 fps, not ten. But as Mark has said, you use the flash to stop motion one time.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Actually, the A230 only goes to 2.5 fps, not ten. But as Mark has said, you use the flash to stop motion one time.
Hmm. Ok, thanks.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:32 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Actually, it will do 2.8fps, not that anyone really cares. :-)

There's a "quirk" with the newer Sony models, in that if you're using a mode that tries to track action (as in the performance tests some reviewers are using), it slows the frame rate down to insure more accurate focus.

This appears to be a deliberate design decision from all outward appearances (to help insure the frame rate doesn't exceed the ability of the camera to track movement), in order to achieve more accurate results.

IOW, the frame rate will actually exceed Sony specs, if you're not using an AF mode that invokes any tracking (i.e., switching of focus points to try an stay locked on your intended subject). By default, the Auto mode for focus will try to determine the AF point to use, which can slow it down.

But, as already discussed, that has nothing to do with the shutter speeds the camera is using (or the ability freeze action via the flash).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote