Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:00 PM   #1

Default Sigma EF-430 Super Flash on Sony A300?

Does anybody know if the Sigma EF-430 Super Flash would be compatible with my Sony A300? Does ADI work with it? Anybody tried this flash on an
A-series camera?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:19 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey rduve. Long time no see. I'm glad to see you posting here.

Are you sure you want to risk trying to use a Sigma flash, after the issues some users (including you if memory serves) had with older Sigma models? :-)

I don't know the answer to your question. But, I can tell you that Sigma flash had some compatibility problems with some of the newer cameras from Canon, requiring it to be sent back to Sigma for upgrades to fix it (depending on the serial number of the flash you bought).

Have you considered a Sony flash instead (HVL-F42AM)? Or, if on a tighter budget, perhaps something like the Metz 48 AF-1? That Metz has USB upgradeable firmware (you can download any firmware updates and apply them yourself via a USB connection to the flash), and I see the latest update mentions support for the A300.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...1-digital.html

There's not much price difference between the Sigma and Metz either (the Metz 48 AF-1 is selling for about $224.95 now at popular vendors).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:43 PM   #3

Good to be back and glad to see you here again, Jim. I finally replaced my KM5D with the Sony A300 (for less than $100 net cost). I just happened to come across that sigma flash on ebay for very low and wanted to see if it could work. Regarding the trouble I had with the Sigma 500 on the KM5D I think the problem was in the camera, not the Sigma flash. I bought the Minolta 3600HS afterward and it also had compatibility problems. So I sold it. I think the ADI system in the camera was defective. Now I am still using my Sunpak 433 and it does fine for most purposes. Would be great to have an automatic flash and the remote function though. So, I wanted to see if somebody had tried the Sigma 430 Super.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:53 PM   #4
Administrator

I just realized you said 430 versus 530... The 430 looks like it's an older model (which means it's almost guaranteed to have issues with newer dSLR models, since even newer Sigma models like their 500 series tend to have a few quirks with some newer cameras until the get the firmware updates are sorted out with them).

But, I don't recall anyone trying that flash on a Sony dSLR. I sure wouldn't buy one (it was introduced long before KM or Sony offered dSLR models, which means it's probably going to fire at full power, if it works at all). lol

What kind of budget do you have? If you want to risk trying one, there is a cheap dedicated flash out now from Vivitar that's supposed to work with newer dSLR models. It's actually made by someone else and just rebranded. Note that some of the other Vivitar models may not work properly (and they do make a less expensive one that's also a new model, but this one has a lot more features, power zoom head and more). You can see some user reviews of it if you look at it's listing at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Series_1.html

But, I don't know if it supports High Speed Sync or not (and their feature description is vague on that kind of thing).

I remember seeing a YouTube review of it recently from a Canon user. I'll see if I can find it.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:58 PM   #5
Administrator

Here it is. Scroll down on the page and he has a YouTube video review of it, too.

http://jakeoconnell.blogspot.com/200...83-review.html

But, I don't know of any Sony users here that have tried one (although I do see some user reviews from Sony dSLR users under the listing at B&H).
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:05 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I sure wouldn't buy one (it was introduced long before KM or Sony offered dSLR models, which means it's probably going to fire at full power, if it works at all).
That's the behavior you usually see with flash models that were not specifically designed to work with newer cameras. Even Minolta flashes like the 5400HS will do that (the 3600HS and 5600HS were the first models that understood the newer protocols Minolta planned to introduce in newer cameras later, and third party models didn't know how to use them until much later, since Minolta didn't introduce cameras using the newer protocols until after it had been manufacturing flashes that understood it for a while). So, I'd expect the same thing from an older Sigma model like the EF-430 (always firing at full power on a KM or Sony dSLR model)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:16 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip on the Vivitar. That may be an option. It does not have wireless though, right? I am pretty sure the Sigma 530 would work, but the 430 definitely not. Again, the compatibility issues I had in the past between my Maxxum 5D and the Sigma EF500 were with the camera, not the flash, I came to conclude.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:21 PM   #8
Administrator

According to it's description it's supposed to work as a slave flash. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it works in the same way a Sony flash model would work though (using the normal protocol transmitted by the built in flash when you set the camera to wireless operation). IOW, I don't know how it works, and I don't know of anyone here that's tried one yet. That's why I said "if you want to risk..." LOL Of course, if it didn't work well, you could return it if the vendor you buy it from has a good return policy.

It could be something simple instead (designed to ignore a preflash and fire with the main flash of the camera in non-Wireless modes). But, until someone tries it, I'm just speculating. This is what I see shown in it's features:

Quote:
Remote Triggering
Built-in optical slave function allows for off-camera operation
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:28 PM   #9
Administrator

P.S.

Sakar announced this new flash last year at PMA. Here's a spec sheet for it:

http://www.vivitar.com/products/177/...c%20Sheet.jpeg
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:32 PM   #10
Administrator

I found a user guide. It's just an optical slave function (you'd need to set the desired power level via manual power settings when using it, and it's not clear if it's designed to ignore the camera's preflash or not). If not, I guess you could always use the sunpak to trigger it (since the Sunpak doesn't use a metering preflash). In a studio setting with an off camera flash, you may want to use manual power settings anyway.

http://www.vivitar.com/products/177/...s%20Manual.pdf