Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:30 PM   #1

Default Rant: sold my A700 then bought another one

This is just a rant and it may not make any sense at all but I have been wasting so much time at work doing all this research and I had to get this off my chest. If anyone is in the same boat as me, hope you find this entertaining....

I bought an A100 in 2007. I liked the camera a lot and invested in the CZ 16-80. About a year ago the A100 died and repairing it was not cost effective, so I bought an A700 body from the Sony outlet store and also invested in the 70-300 G lens. Just a month or so ago I started getting that Nikon itch (it happens every few years as I had always used FE, FE2, FM, F3 bodies back in the day) and the price of the D90 was coming down, so I sold my A700 body and was in the process of selling off my lenses to fund the Nikkor 18-200 VR. I was literally 1 click away from buying the D90 off Amazon when I took another good, long look at it and decided I wanted my A700 back!

After trying out the D90 in the store I realized I don't need live view, especially for outdoor shooting, and I don't need video. I do want the 1/8000 shutter speed of the A700 and after handling the D90 I think the A700 is a better-built camera, even though the D90 gets the most hype. I know the A700 is being phased out and they seem to be disappearing from retail stores. There is a bundle now which is the A700 body with the SAL 16-105 lens for $1100, so I bought it. This is just three Ben Franklins more than what I sold my A700 body for. I will use the 16-105 and see if I like it better than my 16-80 CZ. I sold my G but I will hang on to my 70-210 beercan for now and will start to turn over some rocks looking for a good Minolta prime. I know that the A700 replacement will most likely have live view and maybe even video, but I just have a gut feeling to buy one now, lest I wait too long for the new body and decide I don't want it after all.

Whew! OK, rant off. Just wanted to air all that out. Being a consumer can be tough.
Chris R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:45 PM   #2

You had an A700 with a Zeiss 16-80 and a 70-300 'G', and you wanted something better?

There isn't anything better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R. View Post
I had always used FE, FE2, FM, F3 bodies back in the day) . . . . and after handling the D90 I think the A700 is a better-built camera
I once met a repairman who said that repairing Nikon F's for the pros was the thing that kept him in business. While I didn't match the pros in degree of usage, I never had a Pentax or Maxxum go down in service (although I did get one Maxxum DOB). And Nikon microscopes with their internal nylon gears have been no more reliable . . . .
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:12 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You had an A700 with a Zeiss 16-80 and a 70-300 'G', and you wanted something better?

There isn't anything better.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:13 AM   #5
Administrator

Congrats on the new A700. ;-)

The 16-105mm seems to be very well liked by users and has a reputation for being a fast focusing lens, even though it may not test quite as well as the 16-80mm. You may also appreciate the extra range on it's longer end compared to the 16-80mm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote