Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:30 PM   #1

Default Minolta Maxxum 50mm F1.7 lens.

I just received this lens yesterday from an Ebay source. Man, this thing is sharp! It's a 75mm lens on my a200 and great for portraiture. I think that it's a lens that every Sony DSLR owner should have. Lots of em for sale on Ebay.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:39 PM   #2
Administrator

I bought mine in a kit with a Maxxum 7000 camera body including a 50mm f/1.7 AF lens, a Minolta AF1800 Flash, cases, manuals and more for a "buy it now" price of $49 on Ebay (and the camera and lens work just fine).

But, they may have gone it a tad since then. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:27 AM   #3

You got a really good deal there Jim, I paid $90 for my 50mm on ebay and it is a good copy, love it!
Streets-pick up a f4 beercan and you'll have 2 of the best lenses.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Hey,

i dont mean to hijack your thread but i'd thought i post my question about the 50mm 1.7 here.

So i bought an excellent condition lens from ebay. now my question: is it normal when i use a smaller aperture, the image all white (like too much light)? this is on P or A priority modes. Could it be that my Sony a230 getting confused with the metering so all pictures are grossly over exposed? it works perfectly when its at f/1.7-2.0 though
vinamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like the aperture blades in the lens are stuck wide open. You see that from time to time.

It's usually caused by oil on the aperture blades (and you can clean them if you take the lens apart).

Do this to check it:

Set your ISO speed to the lowest setting, shoot in Av Mode (Aperture Value, a.k.a., Aperture Priority) starting with the widest aperture setting (smallest f/stop number). Then, shoot at f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6 and f/8.

If the photos get brighter each time you make an aperture change from wide open, then your aperture blades are stuck open (not closing down when you take the shot as they're supposed to do). IOW, the camera is using shutter speeds twice as long for each one stop aperture change from wide open (f/2 to f4, f4 to f/5.6, etc.). So, if the blades are stuck open, then you'll get brighter and brighter exposures.

If they are stuck, and you want to try and fix it yourself, you'll need to take it apart and clean the aperture blades. See this album from Pete Ganzel on how to do that.

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/disasse...xxum_50mm_lens

When you click on one of the thumbnails in the album, you'll go to a larger image that has text under it explaining that step. Under the album, you'll also see comments in the album's forum from people that have did it themselves and how they may have approached it for cleaning the aperture blades, thanking Pete for the step by step instructions.

If you just bought the lens and the blades are stuck, you may want to contact the seller and see if they may do something about it if it was advertised in excellent condition without mentioning the problem (if the seller was even aware of it).
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:48 PM   #6

Hi JimC

first of all thanks for the welcome and your help! its forum is so much friendlier than most others!!

My worst nightmare has came true. Its definitely oily blades as I experience the exact things you mentioned.

I will give it a try with cleaning the blades.

Thanks again
vinamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:59 PM   #7

Stuck aperture blades are probably the most common problem with used lenses. Had that problem with a lens I got from KEH: called them, sent it back, and they sent me another one paying shipping both ways for the replacement. Nice dealing with a company like that.

Can also happen to ones that you have had for a longish time, esp in storage. Good reason to exercise your equipment.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:39 AM   #8

I bought my 50mm f1.7 for $25 at a pawn shop and it gets regular use at Christmas, Thanksgiving and any other indoor family event where I'm doing record shots ... it's so nice to set ISO 800 and use it wide open or close to wide open - virtually no need for flash. I don't think I would be adept enough to clean the blades on mine though ... seems like a delicate task?
Ordview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Administrator

I wouldn't want to do it unless I had to. I'd probably just buy another lens instead unless it was a more expensive lens with this problem (then, I'd have to think about it, but I might just send it to someone that repairs lenses for a living instead). :-)
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:33 PM   #10

I bought my Minolta 50mm f1.7 last year, i absolutely love it!!!! Im upgrading now to a Sony 50mm f1.4, cant wait for that to arrive and put it to use
bella is offline   Reply With Quote