Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:08 AM   #11

I suppose you could hold the lens hood as the lens focuses, but that could be tedious.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I suppose you could hold the lens hood as the lens focuses, but that could be tedious.
Ok. I'll just buy a round one then, and sell the pedal one back on eBay. What should I look for in a lens hood?

And just to clarify, could I have a lens hood and UV filter on at the same time, and still be able to put on the lens cap?

Thanks for your help.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:21 PM   #13

Sony's own lens hood, the ALC-SH108, attaches to the bayonet mount flanges on the outside of the lens barrel. It does not use the filter mounting threads. A standard filter that attaches to the filter mounting threads will not interfere with that lens hood, and vice versa. And you can attach the lens cap to the filter mounting threads on the outside of the filter exactly the way that you attach the lens cap to the filter mounting threads on the lens.

One last point, however, is that conventional filters have filter mounting threads on the outside, and they can cause vignetting on a wide angle lens. I don't know if the filter you've selected will cause vignetting on the 18-55 kit lens you've got, or not. You'll just have to wait and see. But on my Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens, a conventional filter did cause vignetting. I replaced it with a thin filter that did not cause vignetting, but it did so by not having the filter mounting threads on the outside of the filter, so I couldn't attach the lens cap while the filter was mounted on the lens.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Sony's own lens hood, the ALC-SH108, attaches to the bayonet mount flanges on the outside of the lens barrel. It does not use the filter mounting threads. A standard filter that attaches to the filter mounting threads will not interfere with that lens hood, and vice versa. And you can attach the lens cap to the filter mounting threads on the outside of the filter exactly the way that you attach the lens cap to the filter mounting threads on the lens.

One last point, however, is that conventional filters have filter mounting threads on the outside, and they can cause vignetting on a wide angle lens. I don't know if the filter you've selected will cause vignetting on the 18-55 kit lens you've got, or not. You'll just have to wait and see. But on my Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens, a conventional filter did cause vignetting. I replaced it with a thin filter that did not cause vignetting, but it did so by not having the filter mounting threads on the outside of the filter, so I couldn't attach the lens cap while the filter was mounted on the lens.
Is that lens hood going to be enough? It seems like it would hardly block any light.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:55 AM   #15

Apparently, the Sony 18-55 suffers from flare less than the old 18-70, so the hood isn't as important as it used to be. And because the front element rotates as the lens focuses, petal hoods will rotate too. So the cylindrical hood is all there is.

Have you had trouble with flare?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Apparently, the Sony 18-55 suffers from flare less than the old 18-70, so the hood isn't as important as it used to be. And because the front element rotates as the lens focuses, petal hoods will rotate too. So the cylindrical hood is all there is.

Have you had trouble with flare?
A little bit, not much though. I just figured I may as well buy it. I shoot 95% landscapes. The hood is cheap, and if it helps on just a few pictures, its worth it in my opinion.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:16 AM   #17

If you've got the time, and don't mind the effort, that petal hood might provide better results. And if you use a tripod and focus manually, then that may be the best way to go.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:33 PM   #18

Quote:
If you've got the time, and don't mind the effort, that petal hood might provide better results. And if you use a tripod and focus manually, then that may be the best way to go.
Ok. Thank you for all of your help. I'll try it, and see how it works. If I can't stand to rotate the hood ever time it focuses, (Because 90% of the time I DO use autofocus) then I'll buy the round one.

The hood should be coming this week sometime.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:00 PM   #19

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and please keep me posted.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:21 PM   #20

Just as long as I still have your focus, I will ask you one more question for now.

If the flower pedal lens hood doesn't work for me, I will probably just buy the official Sony hood, but what about this one?

http://www.camerafilters.com/detail.aspx?ID=2721

Does it look any good?