Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:39 PM   #21

It might be ok.

I've known people that have used rubber collapsible hoods and been pleased with them.

And for $6, if you don't like it, you aren't out a lot of money.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sony lens hood for the 18-55 kit lens is not very substantial. That lens really doesn't need much of a lens hood anyway. And there's a good chance that a generic hood will cause vignetting, especially at shorter focal lengths (wider angles.)

I lost my lens hood for the 18-55 Sony kit lens myself and got a replacement (used) from KEH. The lens hood was not a Sony but a Tamron it has worked well since.

If you buy a filter, make it a good one. Cheap filters reduce image quality. But it doesn't make sense to spend $50 on a protection filter for a lens that only costs $100.
I agree I had a crappy general brand UV fiulter that was $8.95. I ended up with a Tiffen that I really like.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:08 AM   #23
Administrator

Some of the Tiffen UV filters are about as bad as it gets. ;-)

Note the images on this page of a review (it's a multi-page review comparing a lot of UV filters), showing flare related issues with a Tiffen (including significant veiling flare causing a hazy, washed out look when shooting into harsher lighting).

http://www.lenstip.com/113.24-articl...n_72mm_UV.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:09 PM   #24

So what is a good brand?

I already know I need to get one that is multi-coated.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:16 PM   #25
Administrator

I don't use them on my lenses, so I won't risk degrading image quality. But, some of the better Hoya HMC filters seem to test better than most.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:17 PM   #26

Well the hood came today. I think I'm going to stick with it. It does rotate when focusing, but that doesn't appear to be an issue if I just stick at a minimum of ~ 22mm. Is there a way to lock it so I can't do anything under that? I thought I remember there being a way. The nice thing also is that when it turns off the lens rotates back to its starting position so so does the hood.

Anyways, I'm big on pictures, so here you go:

Here you can see on the bottom left hand corner of the viewfinder how much the hood chops off at 18mm. And yes, I was too lazy to just take an actual image with the Sony Alpha so I did this instead.

The other problem is that when I use the flash and point down, I get an awful shadow like below. Luckily I shoot mostly landscapes without flash.

Old Feb 19, 2010, 6:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Here you can see on the bottom left hand corner of the viewfinder how much the hood chops off at 18mm.
So this is a petal hood that blocks the view at 18mm? If you can live with it, ok, but I couldn't.

Another option, btw,is to get a better lens that comes with a hood. The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a better, faster lens, albeit more expensive, and the hood it comes with works.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
So this is a petal hood that blocks the view at 18mm? If you can live with it, ok, but I couldn't.

Another option, btw,is to get a better lens that comes with a hood. The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a better, faster lens, albeit more expensive, and the hood it comes with works.
Yes, down the line, I do plan on buying a few more lenses once my cash flow increases, but as of now, I don't have too much money to spend, so for me, using 20mm instead of 18mm isn't too big of a deal for me. Also I'm going to buy an external flash, which is set higher on the camera, (obviously) so then hopefully I won't have that shadow.