Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:14 PM   #1

Default Accessory compatibility issue questions (Update: It came)

I want to buy this UV Filter for my A230L -http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-EX-55mm-Multi-Coated-Filter/dp/B00009R6K1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1266098836&sr=1-2

I also would like to buy a cheap lens hood for my DSLR. Would this one work well? It says for the 18-200, but right now I just have the 18-55.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ALC-SH000...6099166&sr=1-5

Would I be able to keep both the UV Filter/hood on at the same time?

And I wouldn't need the lens cover if I had a UV filter, right?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by adamvk; Feb 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:52 PM   #2

The Sony 18-55mm kit lens uses 55mm filters, so that filter should work fine.

That lens hood is for the 18-200mm lens and will not fit the 18-55mm lens. The lens hood for the 18-55mm lens is the ALC-SH108.

The filter attaches to the filter mounting threads, while the lens hood attaches to the bayonet flanges, so yes, you can us both at the same time.

But no, the protection filter does not replace a lens hood. The protection filter will get beat up if you don't cover it with a lens hood, so you'll want to remove it before you take photos.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:59 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

I just purchased a lens hood that said it is compatible with the A350 lens, and every other 55mm lens. I'm gonna wait a little bit until I buy a UV filter though, because I'm not sure if I want one or not.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:21 PM   #4

The Sony lens hood for the 18-55 kit lens is not very substantial. That lens really doesn't need much of a lens hood anyway. And there's a good chance that a generic hood will cause vignetting, especially at shorter focal lengths (wider angles.)

BTW, many generic lens hoods attach to the filter mounting threads, and so would interfere with the use of a filter.

If you buy a filter, make it a good one. Cheap filters reduce image quality. But it doesn't make sense to spend $50 on a protection filter for a lens that only costs $100.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sony lens hood for the 18-55 kit lens is not very substantial. That lens really doesn't need much of a lens hood anyway. And there's a good chance that a generic hood will cause vignetting, especially at shorter focal lengths (wider angles.)

BTW, many generic lens hoods attach to the filter mounting threads, and so would interfere with the use of a filter.

If you buy a filter, make it a good one. Cheap filters reduce image quality. But it doesn't make sense to spend $50 on a protection filter for a lens that only costs $100.
Thanks. The hood I bought said it can attach to any 55mm lens or filter, So I'm hoping that it would attach to a UV filter. And as far as vignetting goes, I personally like it. I usually add it in Aperture anyways.

I know that the lens I have on there is cheap and only worth ~ $150, but I plan on looking for a 55mm telephoto lens later.

Here are some of my images...a little high on vignetting. I personally like it...

Last edited by adamvk; Feb 14, 2010 at 2:50 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 2:52 PM   #6

Sorry, one more question...I reread your post, and you said a generic hood often would cause vignetting. Why would that be? Either generic or brand name, its the same exact thing, isn't it? It's just plastic.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
... you said a generic hood often would cause vignetting. Why would that be? ...
Lens hoods come in different sizes and shapes. The Sony ALC-SH108 is a simple cylindrical hood that mounts on the outside of the lens barrel. A lens hood of a different diameter, length, or design may obstruct the view of the lens at the edges or corners.

And, btw ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Thanks. The hood I bought said it can attach to any 55mm lens or filter, So I'm hoping that it would attach to a UV filter. ...
That implies that it attaches to the filter threads, not the bayonet mount. If that's true, you can't remove the filter without removing the hood. and you may not be able to attach the cap with the hood installed.

And if the hood all by itself doesn't cause vignetting, the hood on the filter probably will. And the vignetting it creates won't be the nice, gradual vignetting that you apply in Aperture.

I hope you didn't spend a lot.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Lens hoods come in different sizes and shapes. The Sony ALC-SH108 is a simple cylindrical hood that mounts on the outside of the lens barrel. A lens hood of a different diameter, length, or design may obstruct the view of the lens at the edges or corners.

And, btw ...

That implies that it attaches to the filter threads, not the bayonet mount. If that's true, you can't remove the filter without removing the hood. and you may not be able to attach the cap with the hood installed.

And if the hood all by itself doesn't cause vignetting, the hood on the filter probably will. And the vignetting it creates won't be the nice, gradual vignetting that you apply in Aperture.

I hope you didn't spend a lot.
Ok, I might hold off on a UV filter then. We'll see though. And for me, not having the lens cap on isn't that big of a deal for me since I keep my cameras in air-tight Pelican cases.

And here is the hood I bought- http://cgi.ebay.com/55mm-Flower-Lens...ht_5437wt_1167

Last edited by adamvk; Feb 14, 2010 at 9:14 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:18 AM   #9

That is a petal style lens hood that attaches to the lens via the filter mounting threads. The problem you'll have is that the filter mounting threads on the 18-55 lens rotate as the camera focuses. That means the petals can be visible in the frame until you rotate the hood after focusing. That's why Sony's own hood is cylindrical.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
That is a petal style lens hood that attaches to the lens via the filter mounting threads. The problem you'll have is that the filter mounting threads on the 18-55 lens rotate as the camera focuses. That means the petals can be visible in the frame until you rotate the hood after focusing. That's why Sony's own hood is cylindrical.
Dang it. Is there any way to get around it?