Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:17 PM   #1

Default just picked up my new lens..

well with all the help in here that i have received in the past. all was very good and helpful.(tcav, jimC ) i was able to pick up my other new lens...tamron 70-200 2.8.. the best thing i could get..i received alot of recommendations on the 55-200 Sony and almost did buy it.. but came into this lens.. and there is no comparison.. i can't say anything bad about it....now trying to decide on picking up 2 a700's or 1 a900.. hard decision. but i have a few weeks to decide.

so any comments or suggestions would be grateful...

Last edited by lonefeather93; Feb 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:06 AM   #2

Your new 70-200/2.8 will work with either, but what other lenses do you have? Some lenses won't work with the A900.

Also, if you want to get an A700 (or two) you'll need to hurry. They're getting scarce.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3

well i know the 50mm 1.7minolta will not work on the 900. but i do have a tamron 28-75 2.8. i had the 17-50 2.8 but got rid of it cause it wouldn't work on a 900.. but i'm looking at the cost of everything. and i can get 2 a700 for the price of a 900. so that is why i'm looking at the two of them.. i really don't need the live view. so that is why i was thinking of selling it. the a700 has the teathering and i have 3 laptops to use from.. so it would be easier for me to keep all the same i think...but i think im going to look at the sig 70-200 2.8 for the Af speed. the tamron is ok.. but i have found a couple of flaws on how fast the AF is..
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:35 AM   #4

Actually, the Minolta 50/1.7 was created for Minolta's film SLRs, so it will work on the A900 too. And the Tamron 28-75/2.8 will work on the A900 as well. You're correct that the Tamron 17-50/2.8 would not work. (Tamron "Di" lenses work; their "Di II" lenses don't.)

The A900 doesn't support 'Live View', per se, but it does have a mode that can pass for 'Live View' in a pinch. And the A900 (and A850, btw) supports the same tethering that the A700 does.

And if you can get away with 3fps and a 98% viewfinder, then you can save some money by getting the A850 instead.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5

so you think i should just get the 850. i would like to get a remote..what i was thinking was to have 2 of the 700 and then i could get rid of the 350..but the 700's are really becoming scarce to find.. so that is why i was thinking of getting the 2 insted of just one camera..one will always be a backup. except for the times that i have to use both of them...
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonefeather93 View Post
so you think i should just get the 850.
No. I think that if you decide to go FF, and you don't need the 5fps or the 100% viewfinder, you could save some money by getting an A850 instead.

Quote:
i would like to get a remote.
Sony's Remote Commander is available seperately for $30.

Quote:
what i was thinking was to have 2 of the 700 and then i could get rid of the 350..but the 700's are really becoming scarce to find.. so that is why i was thinking of getting the 2 insted of just one camera..one will always be a backup. except for the times that i have to use both of them...
Having two is better than having one, especially since the A700 replacement is nowhere in sight. But your decision might be made for you if you don't hurry.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:00 PM   #7

just reading alot on these two.i thought about the 850 and the 700.i just thought it would be a good idea to have the 2 a700's . but now i keep reading about on how fast i can fill up a 8gig card with the 850. but i also keep seeing on how the 700 is almost just as good..