Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:25 PM   #1

Default Sony a850 or Canon 7D

if you had to choose one of these camera's.. what one would you choose. and why???
If you shoot mainly sports, and portraits. and if you have a 70-200mm 2.8 lens for a sony, but you have 2 weeks to return it back and exchange it for a canon lens.. what would you do.. 18mp to 24mp?? oh yeah FF
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:34 PM   #2

I would pick the Canon for its selection of lenses appropriate for sports, and its faster rate of continuous shooting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:45 PM   #3
Super Moderator

It's a tough one as the 7D is much better at sports and the a850 is better at portraits. I shoot with a 7D as well as a 5DmkII and a 1DmkIII so have a variety of cameras. I took the 5DmkII and 7D to a Tae Kwon Do event this past week and the 8fps over 3.9 makes such a difference. The better AF was noticable but not essential in TKD as there isn't too much movement compared to field sports. What was better with the 5DmkII is the lower noise at high ISOs, however with the A850 and the 7D you don't have the same variation with both being similar at 3200 and 6400.

I personally love shooting full frame but on the other hand I love high speed shooting so it is a toss up.

One thing you do have going for you is already having a 70-200mm f2.8. Is that the Sony, if so then it is a stellar piece of kit, if it is a Sigma then I wouldn't be so worried about switching.

As I see it, your main gain with the a850 is the FF and better performance (generally) at low ISO settings, build in IS, with the 7D you are getting 8fps (I couldn't shoot most sport happily at 3fps to get the moment I desire), a better AF system, more reach from the lenses which can be a help but sometimes a hindrance......... hmmm, it's tough. Oh just thought you also get video on the 7D but that might not be any concern to you.

I think the final questions have to be, how much are you shooting sports, what sports, at what level or play and for what reason? This could be the make or break as most cameras will do portraits well but if you are spending this sort of money and want some sporting action then it is worth getting the right tool.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Oh I didn't answer your 18 or 24mp question. Personally I would rather they were both at 12mp like Nikon with the D700 and have cleaner images at higher ISO.

The difference between the a850 and the 7D isn't as big as the 6mp sound. The a850 is 6048 x 4032 and the 7D is 5184 x 3456.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:58 PM   #5

then if i go with the canon.. will the tamron 70-200 2.8 lens be a good one for it.. im tring to figure out what one i should goto.. i have my a350 with the 2.8 28-75 , 70-200... and i can trade them back in for other lens if need to.. but i do more portraits but some people are asking me to do the sports for them.. wrestling, football and volleyball. stuff like that.. but your right with that kind of money. i just want to get the right one..
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:04 PM   #6
Super Moderator

No, the Tamron will only work on Sony, but it's not a good sports lens anyway although it is lovely and sharp. If you had the Sony option that would be a really really good reason to stay Sony.

Personally if you are serious about switching systems the in the current market I would be going Nikon D700 although the D700x is predicted soon (poss late this month but these are only rumours I've seen on other sites).

The D700 matches the 7D on AF and fps (battery grip needed to get 8fps, 5 as standard), it knocks spots off the 7D, a850 and even the 5DmkII in noise, dynamic range, colour depth etc etc. I'm locked into Canon but if I wasn't then the D700 is hard to beat. Yes it is 'only' 12mp, but these 12mp are very clean so it is a real all round performer.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:05 PM   #7

i know that. but tamron makes one for the canon.. but i did see that it doesn't come with IS. so that is why i'm trying to decide on what one. the saleman is really pushing me into the 850, cause i just got the lens last week. so when i look at the price of it.. then i see the reviews of the 7d. i wonder if i should just switch my lens over to a canon mount, and just buy the 7d. i can still use my a350 for my backup.. that is my dilema. or i'm thinking of saving money and just buying an a700 for 800 and save money...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:14 PM   #8

it would be hard to have a back up camera with a different system. Makes it a way bigger investment to have lenses covering the same needs, you will need to double up on all lenses pretty much.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:34 PM   #9

im just saying i can get another cannon later over the summer if needed..i was almost thinking of getting 2 a700 for the price of a 850.. then i could sell my 350. but with the L / V its hard to consider. then i was looking at the tethering for the a700 and the a850.. but when i saw how much the 7d was. with a basic lens.. i could return my other lens and get better canon lens.. and then save up and buy another cannon.. xti or 50d.. just to have...i have had really good luck with the sony. but now things are getting alot busier and i need to have 2 cameras in most cases..stills and me moving.. but the 850 is only 3 fps. and if i start doing sports.. i might need something faster.. its a tough call.. but im about to put out even more money and just wondering if the salesmen is just pushing the FF on me.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:39 PM   #10

I would consider the 7D if you do need more speed. The slow burst rate can cause you to miss some shots. A 50D as a backup is nice and it has a fast burst rate also.

If you can return the tamron and get the canon version. Then there is no real lost. Well the lost of the a350 and it's lenses in the big scope of things.