Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:08 PM   #1

Default Good flash for A700?

I bought a EF-500 DG SUPER SD-ADI flash and it was my first non factory external flash. I am not having good luck getting my exposures right. I think it must be me because the camera is communicating with the flash.

Its going on EBAY and I think I will get a Sony sony HVL-F42AM. The sony HVL-F58AM is pretty expensive for features I will not use.

Anyone have good luck with any other flash?

Last edited by billinaz; Mar 6, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:41 PM   #2
Administrator

That's your best bet (Sony HVL-F42AM).

On a tighter budget, one other flash you may want to consider is the Metz 48 AF-1. It has USB upgradeable firmware, so you can download and install newer versions when available to improve compatibility with newer camera models. The latest firmware for the Sony version of this flash was released last month:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...1-digital.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:46 AM   #3

The Metz 48 AF-1 is an excellent flash, with an easy price point.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:58 AM   #4

The metz have excellent build quality also.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:43 PM   #5

I will probably try the Metz.

I have to wait and see if the Sigma flas sells on EBAY. I paid WAY too much for that thing... and Ill take one heck of a loss...

Oh well, live and learn!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:57 PM   #6

I've had the Metz 48 AF-1 since December and like it a lot. I love the fact that it can also operate as a remote slave flash so I hold the flash with one hand when taking pictures.

Here's a shot I took with it this weekend (that I'm very proud of ). I own a Sony A350. I used a flash bouncer and further processed it with Photoshop Elements (which brought out the man's undershirt from his nearly purely bright white shirt ).

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:35 AM   #7

I have had good luck with the Sony HVL-F56AM which has been superceded by the 58 model ... you might be able to pick up a used one for a good price now that it is no longer in production?
Ordview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Administrator

One thing to consider is that the newer flash models (HVL-F42AM, HVL-F58AM) support what Sony calls CTRL+, which allows ratio control with some setups (for example, an HVL-F58AM on the A900 acting as a master). This is a newer flash protocol that is unsupported by the older flash models like the HVL-F36AM (rebranded Minolta 3600 HS) and HVL-F56AM (rebranded Minolta 5600 HS).

So, going forward, it may be a good idea to stick with one of the newer models if the price difference isn't great, for better compatibility with future camera models that may be able to take advantage of flash ratio control with digital.

You can read more about the newer flash protocol here:

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/news...9-01/index.htm

Note that the latest firmware from Metz allows their 48 AF-1 and 58 AF-1 flashes to be used in CTRL+ mode with cameras that support it. AFAIK, no other third party flashes will support the CTRL+ protocol.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:16 PM   #9

Couldnt find a 56 anywhere. All the ones I found for a reasonable price (that being less than what I could get a 48 for) were simply one of the NY camera shops ploys to get you to talk to them. They all tried selling me a "compareable" flash.

I gave up... bought a HVL-F58AM !

$360 from buy.com
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:51 PM   #10

OK, I just got the HVL-F58AM. After a few test shots, Im already happy! I dont know why I struggled with the Sigma for years... and had all those ruined shots.

This flash seems to fit what I need for good low light shots!