Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:57 PM   #11

Also you can get more uses out of the G1, and instead of spend the cash on the sony body, you can put that toward the d90 you want.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:01 PM   #12

... so, since you have to buy an adapter anyway, why not just get an adapter for a camera body you've already got. ... or just wait and get an adapter for the D90.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:18 PM   #13
Super Moderator

it will at least give you a cheap way to see whether you enjoy working with legacy glass or not. and if you do enjoy it, when you get the camera you want, you will know to get the adapter for it.

and if you also enjoy it, the Panny G1 is one of the best cameras for using legacy glass with its short flang distance. so you can get adapters for almost any mount lens. which will let you have fun looking over Ebay and such and finding new "old glass" to play with on your G1.

with the money saved you can put it to your d90/whatever fund. or just keep using your g1 and buy that new oly 9-18 m4/3 superwide for your landscapes. and play around with some legacy glass when you want fast primes and teles.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
BTW, you can't mount a Minolta MF lens onto a Minolta/Sony AF body without an adapter of some kind. The bayonet mounts are different.
Well this message is exactly the one I was not hoping to get, but was the reason I posted this question here, and I am glad I did!
I always heard that it would fit without an adapter.

This means I can discard the Sony Alpha series alltogether, even though I liked the articulated LCD (almost as usefull as the one I have on my G1) on it.

Quote:
... so, since you have to buy an adapter anyway, why not just get an adapter for a camera body you've already got. ... or just wait and get an adapter for the D90.
That's exactly what I need to do then...
Thank's TCav!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
...you can put that toward the d90 you want.

This is my headache, shoturtle!

I am not sure I do WANT the D90 so much, but so far it is the most sensible choice (given my budget) in terms of IQ, high ISO and choice of enough lenses for all kinds of uses and a quality build. And the fact that I already own one Nikkor zoom-lens (16-85mm which is some better than the other kit-lenses) weigh rather heavy towards the D 90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
- it will at least give you a cheap way to see whether you enjoy working with legacy glass or not...

- and if you also enjoy it, the Panny G1 is one of the best cameras for using legacy glass with its short flang distance...

- or just keep using your g1 and buy that new oly 9-18 m4/3 superwide for your landscapes. and play around with some legacy glass when you want fast primes and teles.
Three very sensible reasons to think trough. This is sound advice, Dustin - thank you!

---------------------------------------------------

My problem really started out after Panasonic released news about the new G2 and what had been added to it. For me it was a big dissapointment, because there are no seriouse improvements photo-wise, just a lot of gimmiks, like the touch-screen. I don't see myself standing knee-deep in the snow in a cold winters-night taking my gloves off to fiddle around on a LCD-screen!

I wanted increased IQ, a better sensor with regards to high ISO (like the GH1) to be able to shoot up to 3200 for instance, or at least 1600 - a different and quieter shutter (!) - maybe back-lit buttons for night-shooting and more affordable lenses to chose from.

Instead they "pimped" the G1 to attract new buyers....
I must admit, this is the first time Panasonic let me down.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:06 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
... or just wait and get an adapter for the D90.
Note that the D90 will not meter with non CPU lenses. So, you'd need to estimate your exposure with an adapter (the meter won't function with a Manual Focus lens). You'd need to move up to a D300s or higher end body to get metering with them in the current Nikon lineup.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:05 AM   #17
Administrator

If you've got some Minolta manual focus lenses, you may want to check out this article, although I don't think the announcement about it was supposed to be posted until the first of next month.

Seagull D55 Digital SLR

Make sure to click on the logo/link to Shutter-Box Photographic equipment at the bottom of the page to get more information about it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:09 AM   #18

Walter,

You may want to fore go the D90 and go with an alpha, with tripod and HDR work for landscapes needing liveview, the Alpha is a better tool for your need form what I can tell. You may be better off selling the nikon lens, and put it toward a sony 500 or 550.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Note that the D90 will not meter with non CPU lenses...
Another 'nail in the coffin' for plans that just have been changed...
Seems like I need to look elsewhere for a decent camera, because the D 300s is definitely 'out of my league' moneywise.

But thank you for telling me this now, JimC - before I went to the camera-store.......much obliged!

Quote:
.. Seagull D55 Digital SLR ... Shutter-Box Photographic equipment..
Stange but probably a wise camera to buy, the Seagull D55 digital SLR if you really have som valuable Minolta-glass in your posession. As TCav said, mine are noting special, so I don't think I will bother.

But is was rather refreshing to read about Minolta's camera-history on the Shutter-Box-site, as my first DSL was in fact the Minolta SRT 101 - My, was I proud then, back in 1967 I think it was...!

Thank you for this page, I saved a shortcut to it for later!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:57 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:

Make sure to click on the logo/link to Shutter-Box Photographic equipment at the bottom of the page to get more information about it.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote