Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:00 PM   #21
Administrator

I've thought about buying an adapter to mount MC/MD type lenses on my Sony A700, since my brother-in-law has an SRT-101 with some very nice glass that I'm sure he'd let me borrow if I asked.

But, I've already purchased a number of Minolta AF lenses. So, it's probably more trouble than it's worth trying to use an adapter with older manual focus glass, especially since most of the adapters need optics that add a small amount of magnification to allow focus to infinity (which can degrade image quality).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:14 PM   #22
Administrator

BTW, you can find adapters that have focus confirmation built in. Basically, these adapters have electronics that "fool" a camera into thinking you're using an Autofocus Lens in manual focus mode. So, you get a focus confirmation in your viewfinder when you achieve accurate focus via manual focusing when using this type of adapter.

Here's one example from a reputable Hong Kong based vendor:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...5&cat=0&page=1

So, you might be able to find a similar adapter for a Nikon body like the D90 that allows metering, if the camera "thinks" it has an AF lens attached. I have no experience in that area and wouldn't know if that would be a solution or not. But, it may be worth investigating.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Walter,

You may want to fore go the D90 and go with an alpha, with tripod and HDR work for landscapes needing liveview, the Alpha is a better tool for your need form what I can tell. You may be better off selling the nikon lens, and put it toward a sony 500 or 550.
Well, I am a bit suspiciouse about the A550's IQ and some say its build-quality is not up to par (for the kind of use I would put it through) - have read halve a dozend or so reviews and the conclusions are more or less divided, mostly because of its JPEG-machine: "At the very least it means playing around with the JPEG parameters and taking control of the white balance and metering when necessary, but for the most part it really means you need to shoot raw (and process each file manually) to really see the Alpha 550 shine."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...550/page27.asp

Cons:
- JPEG output doesn't really do the sensor justice - shoot raw for the best results
- Default output over processed: too much contrast, saturation (reds in particular often end up overdone) and noise reduction for our taste
- Metering not reliable enough, easily fooled by unusual subjects and large skies (often over exposing)
- More auto white balance errors than we'd expect at this level

Sorry, Steve's but dpreview speaks with a sharper (understandable) tungue when wrinting the conclusions.

If this quoting from another website is against the rues here at Steve's, I apologize and will remove it.

SteveC?
---------------------------------------------------------

So, there is still the Olympus E-620 Double-zoom kit with ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm and 40-150mm to check out.
http://www.fotovideo.no/aspx/produkt...px?plid=122424

Its price being NOK 7. 6950- = $ 1.360,- for the double zoom-kit. Don't know anything about their glass though...

I dont know anything about Olympus - only the apparent weakness of hig ISO with plenty of noise already @ ISO 800 (which is about the same as my G1 now...).

What i like about the E-620 is its LCD and live view function.

BTW - How does the Olympus E-30 stand in comparison to the E 620?? Is this some in-between model? Any good?

???

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 17, 2010 at 3:28 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:39 PM   #24
Administrator

Nah... that's not against the rules, although I will sometimes send a friendly note to members that post links to other sites frequently, since that's not really fair to Steve's to use the forums here for promoting other sites (as some members have been known to do from time to time).

But, I'd disagree with some of what they wrote about the A550. Personally, I think the metering is pretty good with the newer Sony models. You do have to understand that the default Matrix metering tends to weight the selected focus point more, and sometimes users let the camera pick a focus point, versus selecting it themselves (and you can do it either way). You see the same thing with a number of cameras from other manufacturers, too (multi-segment/matrix metering systems that weight the focus point more). IOW, any metering system takes some getting used to. Personally, I often use Center Weighted metering instead with cameras I use (as Center Weighted is usually more predictable with most cameras, regardless of brand).

As for over saturated colors, some Sony users tend to think the opposite is true, bumping up settings for saturation or using the Vivid "Creative Style" setting instead of the defaults. You've got a lot of user settable parameters available for that kind of thing (including Creative Style settings like Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape and more). Each one of the Creative Style settings also allows you to adjust saturation, contrast and sharpness individually for the selected Creative Style. So, if you don't like the camera defaults, just change them (as it's a highly tunable camera).

The Noise Reduction is a bit aggressive at higher ISO speeds. But, there are pros and cons to that approach (the pro being less Post Processing is required to get more grain free images at most sizes you'd want to use, since you're probably not going to notice the NR unless you're "pixel peeping" at viewing sizes far larger than you'd normally print at. ;-)
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:40 PM   #25

The epl-1 has the same sensor as the e620, it is just as good as aps-c sensor to 800iso. After that it starts falling off. 1600iso depending on the person, is acceptable. I restrict my epl-1 to 1250iso. As the noise is not that bad.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:17 PM   #26
Administrator

P.S.

As for the A550's build quality, try the camera in a store. Personally, I think the build quality is really good for this type of camera (IMO, it feels quite solid for a non-metal body). Keep in mind that you need to move up to a more expensive model in the Nikon lineup if you want a magnesium alloy body. IOW, you need to go with a D300s or higher; as the D90 is a plastic (or polycarbonate if you prefer) body camera using an Aluminum Alloy frame.

Frankly, after reading some of the early reviews of the A550, I was pleasantly surprised when I got a chance to try one. Some reviewers can be a bit biased in one direction or another, intentional or not; and I think some users were expecting an A700 replacement when judging it (versus letting the newer Sony bodies stand on their own merits).

The only real complaint I have with the body design of the A550 is that they redesigned the power switch so that it's located with the shutter button. Personally, I'd rather have a typical slide type switch located elsewhere instead. But, that's probably just a matter of preference and what you're accustomed to. The extra controls on the A500/A550 models for things like Dynamic Range Optimization settings are pretty nifty from my point of view, too; with a well designed control layout.

If you want a better body, you really need to go to the D300, D300s or higher in the Nikon lineup; A700 or higher in the Sony lineup (now discontinued but you can still find them); or move to the 50D, 7D or higher in the Canon lineup.

But, IMO, the less expensive bodies are just fine, too. I'd strongly recommend that you find a store that has demo models you can get your hands on and make up your own mind about their quality, versus basing your opinions on reviews alone, as each user will have different preferences in a camera body.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:52 PM   #27

Thank you Jim, for such a long report on the a550. I will give it a try, as I'm really hung up on that articulated LCD with 920.000pix. Same screen resolution as the D90 - but tiltable! This is in fact one of the best things with my G1 - the Live View and the articulated LCD with 100% coverage.

I will have to see who (which camera-shop) does have the a550 on the shelf her in Fredrikstad.

It is a pity though that no a550-owner has posted any good quality-photos in this here Sony Alpha - forum yet. You would think there should be a lot of new, proud a550-buyers anxiouse to display what the camera can do?

Thank's again, Jim - appreciate your help and guidance, so far!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:54 PM   #28

Actually Wronger has posted some photos in the travel section and hdr. You may want to check out some of his posts form china, taiwan, and hong kong
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Actually Wronger has posted some photos in the travel section and hdr....

Yes, i have followed Wonger with falcon-eyes - but there are so few other shooters. Especially here in this Sony Alpha Forum.

One would need full EXIF-data along with the photos, to be able to make up ones mind about IQ.

Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:02 PM   #30

You may want to PM him to see if he can include the EXIF data. From what I have seen at the camera shop, it is not a bad camera. And it does have the best live view for a dslr.