Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:14 PM   #1

Default Sony a550 or a700?? Help!

I am looking to purchase a new Sony SLR. I have the current lenses.

SAL70200G
SAL2875
SAL18250

I have read great things about both the a550 and a700. I know the a550 is newer. I am not sure which one to get since I can get either or for around the same price. There are still a few a700's out there. I realize the a700 does not have LIVE VIEW but the a550 does. I don't think that is a big issues since I like looking through the viewfinder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
conradcjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:45 PM   #2

The A700 is a more professional level dSLR, while the A550 is more of a high-end amatuer dSLR. I have read a report that the A550 body actually flexes under the weight of an external flash unit, so the build quality isn't as good, but it does have more bells and whistles than the A700.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:19 PM   #3

Thats a nice starter kit you got there. I've got the 700 and like the ease of navigating the settings. I've been able to use a friends 550 and cant get used to having to go into sub-menus to change things.

The 550 has better high ISO but the 700 isn't bad either. Both are nice cameras.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:26 AM   #4

Yes. I am excited to use the lenses. I would really like to buy the a850 but I can't believe it does not come with a pop-up-flash. If I am away on vacation and need a flash for indoor stuff that would pose a problem. I wouldn't want to carry along my HVL-F58AM. Any thoughts on that? Does anyone make a small flash the size of a pop-up for a hotshoe?

Thanks again
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:02 PM   #5

Sony makes a small flash for their FF bodies. It goes in the hotshoe.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887600
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:52 PM   #6

What do you want to shoot? The A550 has the fastest rate for continuous shooting, if you can forego autofocus. If you can't, the A550 and A700 are tied at 5 fps, with the A850 bringing up the rear at 3fps.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. You have helped me out a great deal.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:28 PM   #8

Good luck with your choice! I just ordered the A550. Can't wait for it to get here!
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Sony makes a small flash for their FF bodies. It goes in the hotshoe.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887600
Mike, I have been using this flash on my a550 - It is not the most powerful of their flashes, but I think the design is absolutely brilliant! It folds flat to carry along on the camera, is light, flexible, compact, and a joy to use. I have used it indoors for people pictures (both direct and bounce) and outside for fill flash with closeups and macros. It is just great.

FWIW, Re the high ISO question, I just posted some shots taken at ISO 1600 - noise was not a problem (but then there was no blue sky for a background, either): http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...ll-thumbs.html

Last edited by penolta; Apr 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Mike, I have been using this flash on my a550 - It is not the most powerful of their flashes, but I think the design is absolutely brilliant! It folds flat to carry along on the camera, is light, flexible, compact, and a joy to use. I have used it indoors for people pictures (both direct and bounce) and outside for fill flash with closeups and macros. It is just great.
Is the A550 onboard flash really weak? I have the KM 5600HS that I was using with my KM 5D and 7D. I was planning to use on the A550 as needed. Truthfully in many situations the onboard flash was adequate on the KMs.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote