Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:50 PM   #1

Default Phoenix lens?

How good are they? I've never heard of them before, but they are cheap, but all the reviewers on BHPhoto seem to like them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_4_0_6_3.html
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:06 AM   #2

Phoenix is a brand name used by Cosina.

Photodo.com has tested the Cosina 28-300mm f/4.0-6.3 and gives is a score of 1.6 on a scale of 0 to 5.

It's a push-pull zoom lens. I had one a while ago and it drove me nuts. It's very hard to adjust the zoom precisely.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:48 AM   #3
Super Moderator

There is a general rule in photography when it comes to lesnes, that is the better the glass the more it costs. I would really want to be trying a lens like this prior to purchasing and wouldn't base my decision on some uses views. For starters it doesn't sound like they know what they are talking about in regards to general photography.

Best Uses:
General Use, Sports/Action, Wildlife

and

Cons: Slow Focus

Best Uses: General Use, Wildlife

Sports/Action/Wlidlife??? None of these are ever the best use of a zoom lens with such a vast range and slow aperture. Then the user who says slow to focus but puts it down for wildlife again is showing little knowledge.

I would personally save my money for some much better, tried and tested glass. What do you already have? A kit lens? If you already have the wide angle then want something longer then get the Tamron 70-300mm, still not amazing but with the more modest zoom range it is know to be optically pretty good for the money. I used to use one back in 2005 and for general use it was fine, sure it doesn't compare to higher end glass, but then again neither does the price.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:40 PM   #4

Ok, thanks for the replies. I just have the kit lens right now, and I want to invest in a lens that has a range of at least 200mm. I was considering a Tamron 28-200 lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uper_Zoom.html), but I just saw this, so I was wondering how good of a lens it was.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:03 PM   #5

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD and Sony and Tamron 55-200 are all good, inexpensive lenses.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Tamron 70-300 Di LD and Sony and Tamron 55-200 are all good, inexpensive lenses.
Ok, thanks. What about the one I posted? Price isn't as big of a concern as ability. If I could get a 28-200, I would pay much more for that than a 55-200, because I wouldn't have to switch lenses as much.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
What about the one I posted? Price isn't as big of a concern as ability. If I could get a 28-200, I would pay much more for that than a 55-200, because I wouldn't have to switch lenses as much.
Photodo.com's test results for the Phoenix (Cosina) are pretty bad. I wouldn't spend any money on it. You'll get better images from multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges, than from a single jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:52 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I don't think there is much to add. A single lens will not generally be as good as multiple ones, and a cheap single lens is likely be be even less good. It's your money at the end of the day, but many people have regretted decisions on lenses with vast zoom ranges.... even those going for the expensive Nikon 18-200 (obviously not for your camera but as an example), once they use it for a while they are generally left wanting

TCav has a very good point in his signature, "The lens is the thing", you can put a good lens on a cheap body and get good results, you can't put a cheap lens on a good body and get nearly such good results.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Photodo.com's test results for the Phoenix (Cosina) are pretty bad. I wouldn't spend any money on it. You'll get better images from multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges, than from a single jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens.
I realize the Phoenix one is crap. I meant this one:

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uper_Zoom.html)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I don't think there is much to add. A single lens will not generally be as good as multiple ones, and a cheap single lens is likely be be even less good. It's your money at the end of the day, but many people have regretted decisions on lenses with vast zoom ranges.... even those going for the expensive Nikon 18-200 (obviously not for your camera but as an example), once they use it for a while they are generally left wanting

TCav has a very good point in his signature, "The lens is the thing", you can put a good lens on a cheap body and get good results, you can't put a cheap lens on a good body and get nearly such good results.
Ya...I guess you're right. I should just buy a good lens. I keep thinking to myself to buy a cheap lens and buy a good body once Sony finally releases a DSLR with HD video recording. Maybe I would be better off just buying good lenses.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:16 PM   #10
Super Moderator

If you want good photos get a good lens that matches the style of photography you want to do, that is the key. I have too many lenses for my own good, but that is because they are a good compromise with quality and usability. The best kit is all prime lenses, but that would be crazy, so you need some zooms, but if you can, don't go crazy on how much the zoom range covers. If you really need convenience of a one lens does all solution then just be aware there will be other limitations in resolution and other optical issues.