Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:59 AM   #1

Default SONY vs. Tamron

Hi All,

what would you get. SONY SAL70200Gf/2.8 or Tamron 70200f/2.8. I have a SONY A700 and A900 that I would like to use it for Wedding and Events. Beside the price difference I want to get everyone opinions on which one is better. Thank you.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11033557

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/70200_di.asp
phamj57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:12 AM   #2

The sony is the better sports lens, much faster in the Auto focus department compare to the tamron. As a sport lens, it up there with the nikon 70-200 2.8 and the canon 70-200mm 2.8L MKII. Some say it is has the best image quality on the market right now. If you are not into sport shooting the tamron should do the job, and save you some money.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 27, 2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: total goof on a sentence
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:15 AM   #3

The Sony 70-200 'G' has less CA than the Tamron (which is good when shooting tuxedoes, gowns, etc.), and it focuses faster.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:30 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd try them out in a store to see how they work. Personally, I'd go for the Tamron between those two choices if I were not shooting sports. The Sony is a larger and heavier lens (so, I'd take that part into consideration, too; as that means more weight to lug around). IQ is outstanding. But, IQ isn't everything.

An even better choice would be a used Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 HS (High Speed) lens if you can find one in great condition. Despite the lack of Supersonic Motor focusing, it's a *very* fast focusing lens by most accounts (noticeably faster than the newer Minolta/Sony 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM from what I can see from users that have tried both lenses). The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 is also faster than the Sony/Minolta from user accounts I've seen.

I've used the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM in a variety of lighting conditions, and frankly, I think it's probably one of the slowest focusing lenses I've used with a Sony dSLR (even though it's got SSM). Using the Macro switch to limit focus range can help. But, it's still on the slow side when changing focus distances significantly. Just because a lens has a Supersonic motor doesn't mean that a "screw drive" lens can't "run circles around" it for Autofocus performance. It's a matter of perception (as users tend to think a lens with SSM is faster because it's quieter, even though that may not be the case).

One suggestion...watch the focus in the viewfinder carefully when changing focus distances significantly. You'll see the exact same problem with other camera brands' lenses with SSM, USM, AF-S, or whatever they want to call it (supposedly fast focusing lenses, even though they may be relatively slow focusing when changing focus distances significantly compared to some "screw drive" lenses, with most users thinking they focus faster because they're quieter). ;-)

So, I'd try one yourself versus going by the hype you tend to see in it's reviews (taking into consideration that users that have bought one would like to believe that their money was well spent). If you decide to get one, I'd make sure to get one from a vendor with a good return policy. Again, image quality is absolutely superb from it (other than a light "touch" of CA/Purple Fringing in the corners on a full frame camera at longer focal lengths shooting some high contrast subjects). But, I'd make sure you're comfortable with it's size, weight, and performance.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:01 AM   #5

Thank you all for your advice. I will try both and see which one will best fit my needs. I love shooting sports but mainly will be using it for wedding.
Old May 10, 2010, 6:07 PM   #6

I just bought this. What do you guys think.

http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPa...0200H2MAK.html
Old May 10, 2010, 6:15 PM   #7

The link did now come through correctly. It just goes to a adorama page.
Old May 10, 2010, 6:25 PM   #8
Administrator

Works for me. He got a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II.

That sounds like a good bet, as it's a well liked lens by Sony dSLR owners. Congrats.
Old May 10, 2010, 6:27 PM   #9

Thanks jim, that is a good lens, and it is a bit of a cost saving over the G lenses.

But how did you tell from the link. I and nada product.
Old May 10, 2010, 6:32 PM   #10
Administrator

The link works for me. I just tested it using 3 different browsers (Firefox, IE, Chrome). I can test it with more if you still can't see it to try and figure out what's wrong.

What Operating System and browser are you using?