Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:48 PM   #1

Default Suggestions to upgrade my glass?

Hi all, I'm still trying to figure out what's best/necessary/affordable with my lens setup, so any help/advice greatly appreciated.

I currently have a Sony a200 with 4 lenses:
Sony 3.5-5.6/18-70mm (Kit Lens)
Sony DT 4-5.6/55-200mm (SAL55200)
Minolta AF 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 II (Silver)
Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7

The 50mm is the only lens I bought for myself, all other lenses came with my purchase.

I love my 50mm lens purchase, the quality of photos is night and day to my other lenses, and am now looking to replace my other lenses with more top quality glass.

As a relative novice, with more professional-looking photography aspirations, I am looking for some advice. My main question revolves around this: if I'm looking to upgrade, does it make sense to upgrade to any of the below lenses (ie. will the upgrade provide marked sharpness/bokeh/clarity improvements in comparison to my already owned lenses?) Else, does it make more sense to wait to save up for some really good/expensive glass with a larger aperture.

I have read good reviews for these lenses, and are considering purchase:
Minolta AF Maxxum 100-200mm f/4.5 (I like weight & portability of this lens)
Minolta Maxxum AF 35-70mm f4 "Mini-Beer Can"
Minolta AF Maxxum 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5
Minolta AF Maxxum 70-210mm f/4 (The "Beercan") (I dislike the weight & portability of this lens)

Any advice/help welcome and appreciated, and if you have any overlooked lenses to recommend, please do.

Happy shooting,
Eric
ericchen0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:54 PM   #2

Get the 'Beercan'. It runs rings around the 100-200 and the 70-210/3.5-4.5 that you mentioned, and the 70-210/4.5-5.6 that you have. Comparitively speaking, it's big and heavy, but good lenses usually are, so get used to it. And recently I've been lugging around a Tokina 100-300mm f/4.0, and, comparitively speaking, the 'Beercan' is a lightweight.

The 55-200 you have is pretty good, but it's not a 1:4 macro like the 'Beercan', and it loses a stop at the long end. That one stop is nice for action and for shallow DoF.

The 35-70/4.0 is also not a bad lens, but it's not very wide. Are you also contemplating replacing your 18-70 as well?

Last edited by TCav; Apr 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:23 PM   #3

Good advice from TCav on the Beercan. Because of him, I finally bought one and the image quality, color rendition and sharpness are second to none in my opinion.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:53 PM   #4

I agree with the beercan being a very good lens I have one but; I recently did a comparison with the Sony - AF DT 55-200 F4-5.6 SAM and the Sony was better in every category with the exception of low light shutter speed. It's smaller lighter and cheap.
Here's my review-http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=522

I think I would start with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 first if I was in your situation. I would bet that you'll use that lens more then any lens in the 50-200 range.

Just my opinion, everyone's different.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:13 AM   #5

I agree with lomitamike about the Tamron 17-50/2.8. Before my KM5D failed and I switched to a Nikon, I did 99% of my shooting with that or my 'Beercan'. But you didn't list anything like that lens as something you were looking at as an upgrade to what you've got.

You already have a Sony 55-200 and a Minolta 70-210/4.5-5.6, and you've listed the Minolta 100-200, 70-210/3.5-4.5 and the 'Beercan' as "Upgrades". That tells me that, for some reason, you're not satisfied with what you've got.

As lomitamike has said, the 55-200 is a good lens, but if there's something you don't like about it, of the lenses you mentioned, the 'Beercan' is the best and most different.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what it is you don't like about the lenses in your current arsenal.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote