Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 3, 2010, 4:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default Sony DSLR updates?

How often does Sony typically update their models? I really want them to release a DSLR that shoots video, but so far it seems Canon or Nikon is a better way to go right now.

I'm waiting, but I don't like waiting.
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 4:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,543
Default

There should be some new products this summer and fall, and video should be in there somewhere.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 4:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

if you believe rumors.

the a700 replacement with video, and a smaller entry level with video.

who knows when.

again, rumormill, don't quote me
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 7:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There should be some new products this summer and fall, and video should be in there somewhere.
If they released it this summer, that would be GREAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if you believe rumors.

the a700 replacement with video, and a smaller entry level with video.

who knows when.

again, rumormill, don't quote me
Of course, it's just a rumor. I do hope they make a DSLR with video for cheaper than the a700 was. I would like to spend ~$700 on my next DSLR, and I want video.
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 7:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
frank-in-toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 1,083
Default

First good luck on $700 with video. Me too.

But I guess I'm bothered by little things. Like mono sound (Canon T2i). Like no auto-focus during...(Nikon D90). Like overheating sensors. Like "jello" effect. Like only short clips (Nikon D5000). At this point I wouldn't buy a DSLR for video.I'd suggest reading the reviews carefully. Most tout the good features and characteristics whilst minimizing the negatives. Let's see if Sony can capture the market with a DSLR that does away with these limitations.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 8:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
First good luck on $700 with video. Me too.

But I guess I'm bothered by little things. Like mono sound (Canon T2i). Like no auto-focus during...(Nikon D90). Like overheating sensors. Like "jello" effect. Like only short clips (Nikon D5000). At this point I wouldn't buy a DSLR for video.I'd suggest reading the reviews carefully. Most tout the good features and characteristics whilst minimizing the negatives. Let's see if Sony can capture the market with a DSLR that does away with these limitations.
I have confidence in Sony. They are slow with implementing certain things, but once they do they usually do a VERY good job.
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 8:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,543
Default

The direction Sony went for 'Live View' worked well for that, but it interferred with recording video. So Sony had to rethink all the stuff they'd stacked on top of dSLRs, before they could come up with a way to have one record video. But the spin that Sony's been putting on the delay is that they won't release a dSLR that can record video until they've got it right. But that's just spin.

If you're serious about shooting video, I still think a camcorder is a better way to go.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 8:33 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The direction Sony went for 'Live View' worked well for that, but it interferred with recording video. So Sony had to rethink all the stuff they'd stacked on top of dSLRs, before they could come up with a way to have one record video. But the spin that Sony's been putting on the delay is that they won't release a dSLR that can record video until they've got it right. But that's just spin.

If you're serious about shooting video, I still think a camcorder is a better way to go.
I have a camcorder, and I honestly think that based on video samples I've seen on Youtube, DSLRs take better video.
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:22 AM.