Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 7, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Lens advice please

I have an a oppurtunity to go with a co-worker while she takes pictures of a bride to be. now, none of my lens are top notch, all are second hand except the tamron. But I wanted some advice on what I should take. I have the minolta 50 1.7, the tamron 70-300 di 4-5.6, Minolta 35-105 3.5-4.5 and the minolta 28-85 3.5-4.5. I dont think all are needed. So which should I take, and if for instacne i should take one other than the 50, which focal length should I use or stay away from. I also have the f42am, but dont know how to use it yet. I will also be using a tripod along with a remote to help minimize blur. I have the A100, and since it will be be about noon there will be no need for high ISO. We will be in a downtown area with plenty of shade. Thanks for any help!
antonlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2010, 1:35 PM   #2

I think I'd not bring the flash. If you use yours, there's a chance it could set off the flash your co-worker is using. Considering that, I think I'd take the 50/1.7 and, considering you'll probably be further away from the subject, and shooting over the shoulder of your co-worker, I'd go with the 35-105/3.5-4.5. You probably wouldn't be doing much shooting between 28 mm and 35mm, and the longer lens will be faster where their ranges overlap.

Also, I don't know what your co-worker expects of you, but I'd find out. And a big part of that will probably be staying out of the way, so I'd leave the tripod home and just float, taking candid photos as things progressed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 2:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I was going to use my tripod because I know that my lens are not the sharpest, but great thinking, the flash I may bring just for show . Also, please answer this question for me I have always wondered. When focusing, do you Zoom into the face, lock focus then zoom out and compose the shot, or just compose for instance the entire body, then aim at the face to focus? hope this isnt too stupid a question!!
Old May 7, 2010, 4:10 PM   #4

Some lenses change focus when you zoom. Focus and recompose.

...or choose a focus point.
Old May 7, 2010, 6:01 PM   #5

Thank you. When you say focus point are you referring to the focus points in my viewfinder or a point on the subject, like the eyes.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonlm View Post
Thank you. When you say focus point are you referring to the focus points in my viewfinder or a point on the subject, like the eyes.
For the AF Area, you can select Focus Area Selection, and choose the focus frame you want to use with the controller. (See the Sony A100 User's Guide, page 51.)

Of you can just focus and recompose.