Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:01 PM   #11

I like your shots.

I have used some of the manual lenses on the camera and some worked well while others were a pain. I have the Minolta branded teleconverter and had ordered the item from Gadget Infinity. Finding a range where the lens will take good shots was not a problem but as was pointed out earlier by time you lose the stops both top and bottom (looks like maybe two and a half) that sexy fast lens isn't anymore.

I do have a question about focusing screens. If I install the screen in the camera would it cause the loss of other functions or display items?

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:04 PM   #12
Administrator

You shouldn't even lose a stop (it's probably less than that) with an adapter (usually, a 1.4x TC is only going to result in about 1 stop of light loss, and the magnification of those adapters is far less than that, and should result in far lower light loss).

As for a different focusing screen, you can end up with metering calibration issues with some screens.

But, other features (AF with Autofocus lenses, etc.) should not be impacted.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 6:53 PM   #13

I may well be wrong on that Jim and will play around a bit more to see exactly what I am getting. Most of the reviews of the converters or teleconverters complain of loss of stops.

I see a full frame body in my not so far away future and the idea of converting my A550 sounds appealing (for the moment anyway). Then again, if I sold off all of my Rokkor-X stuff the new body might be quite a bit closer. High Def video and Live View sound nice

Steve
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:12 PM   #14

I think that, given the distance you are stating, a good lens for you would be a Minolta Maxxum 28-105mm si. This lens would attach with no need for an adapter and in addition would be 100% functional with all auto functions. Why would you want to manually focus? If detail of your subject's Eye is important, a Minolta Maxxum 100-300mm APO zoom would be a great choice.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:35 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
I see a full frame body in my not so far away future and the idea of converting my A550 sounds appealing (for the moment anyway). Then again, if I sold off all of my Rokkor-X stuff the new body might be quite a bit closer.
Well... older MC/MD mount lenses usually don't bring much on the used market (or, or at least they didn't the last time I priced them). That may be changing now that we have more Mirrorless Interchangeable lens cameras coming out with adapters for a variety of lenses including the older Rokkors.

If the Seagull D55 starts shipping, that might increase the popularity of MC/MD mount lenses. See this page for info about it:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/digital.htm

Make sure to click on the link for Shutter-Box at the end of the article so you can get more information about it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:45 PM   #16

I'd be interested in a seagull-ish camera body if ever one was produced. For the right price. i'm plenty ok with manual focus. manual exposure is fine too.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:03 PM   #17

Streets, I have AF lenses covering most of the range. I am a lacking on the shortest lenses but did run across a nice 28-85 dirt cheap. Using the old lenses was as much sentimental as anything else.

My father served as part of a photo recon squadron during the Korean war and after leaving the service he would buy surplus aerial cameras to rebuild and sell. He did some trading with a shop that was going out of business and ended up with all of their Minolta inventory. I have an extended selection of lenses but dad did 35mm so was not overly concerned with having the short prime lenses with the exception of a 16mm fish eye. I noticed your hat. My dad was the one that petitioned Todd Hunter down in Corpus Christi to get the Korean Veteran license plates here in Texas.

MC/MD prices are nothing to get excited about but some do still have limited value. Sold on E-Bay I doubt most of them could bring enough to justify the time and sellers fees. The price curve for the manual lenses follows the AF lenses just much lower in most cases.

I agree with you Frank but again it is much sentimental as anything else.

Steve
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:38 AM   #18

As I recall, I got a decent price for my MC ROKKOR 50mm f/1.4 from a collector. I think I'd stay away from eBay unless you value the ability to sell them while sitting on your butt. Check out used camera shows. Photorama holds shows in my area occasionally, that attract vendors from all over, not to mention buyers and sellers.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:15 AM   #19

Hello TCav. Your 50mm F/1.4 is a perfect case in point. Maxxum lenses that go to F/1.4 also claim a premium over their more generic counterparts. As a rough guide I have found that MC/MD lenses seem to bring about a third of their AF counterparts. Actual mileage may vary of course

I agree with you on eBay. I have bought and sold a few things. Buying is not bad but selling is a royal pain if you are only trying to liquidate a few items. We do not have anything like the Photorama shows in this area. I have to travel to Houston or up around Dallas to find a dedicated camera shop. I spent a full day in Beaumont looking for a camera bag I could live with and found nothing I thought I wanted. The big box stores killed the little guy and focused on the quick sale mass market leaving guys like us out in the cold. I did not find a single store that carried filters for SLR lenses. Best Buy had one entry level Sony Alpha (on sale) with a single kit lens and carried no accessories. Target had one Cannon DSLR with a kit lens (also on sale) with no DSLR focused accessories.

I like living out in the country but it does have its drawbacks. Camera shops must be a big contributor to the smog problem as the only place I find a shop is under a big cloud of smog.

Here is a question. I am looking for a camera bag. Here is what I think I need from said bag. I would call it a "point a to point b" bag. Something in a shoulder bag (tabs for a waist belt would be preferred) that would hold everything to and from an event or on vacation. I am not concerned about quick access (I have a belt with a couple of pouches for walking around). Figure the body with no lens attached and space for five or six lenses of varying length and maybe a flash unit. Pockets on each end for batteries, chargers, and interface cables. Spot for the manuals and my filter wallet. The ability to go as carry on through airport security would be nice but is not required. Tight closure for protection from blowing dust and can stand some exposure to rain.

I found quite a bit on the web but hate buying from a picture with no hands on opportunities. I would like to keep it under $200.00 if possible but I will pay what is required for the right bag. Any suggestions?

Note to Mods: this is completely off of the original topic so if it should be in a different place let me know to move or feel free to do so if you deem fit.

Thank you

Steve