Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 19, 2010, 6:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I know, but it read funny, as it really had nothing to do with my post that clearly stated kenko. quoting me made it sound like there where low end kenko form the way I read it. That is all.
I was continuing from where you wrote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... The tube without the contact are not easy to work with as the sony lens do not have a aperture ring.
... with my ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes. Those extension tube sets sell for about $10, and htey're junk. Asside from the fact that they don't support AF, AE, or the EXIF data, so you must shoot in M (Manual) Mode, they also frequently have light leaks.
... and then went on to agree with you about the Kenko products, saying ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Kenko ones are good; they look just like the Kenko teleconverters, except they don't have any optics. And like the teleconverters, they are also sold under a variety of brand names.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 6:47 PM   #12

I just miss under read what you wrote, I would not buy a ebay extension tube either.

I just sold my old set of kenko tubes. They were great if you wanted 1:1 and did not have the means of getting an expensive 1:1 lens.
Old May 19, 2010, 7:49 PM   #13

The extension tubes I had I bought off eBay. They were Kenko, but with another brand on them. I was very pleased with how they worked.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:11 PM   #14

Hi TCav and shoturtle,

Thanks a lot for the valuable facts. Looks like I triggered a discussion between you guys Anyway, based on what I have gathered, let me throw my thoughts and questions.

1) 1:2 magnification means that the image on the sensor is 1/2 the size of the object being photographed. So when compared to 1:1 macro, that translates to lower resolution (1/2 actually) and not necessarily image quality. Am I right? I understand that 1:1 is true macro photography but do I (someone who does not take pictures for profession but for sheer hobby) need it?

2) Thanks for explaining about the working space. I did not think of the problem with light if I had a small maximum focal length (besides the fact that I could scare the insects away). However, what is a good working space for someone like me?

So why is the Sony SAL30M28 30mm f/2.8 Lens not a good choice? 30mm for minimum focal length sounds good to me. Is it because its maximum focal length is also small? Where do I get this information? Or could I infer it from some other specification?

I believe you are against this lens for the maximum focal length reason. However, the sigma 105 macro and the tamron 90 are a little beyond my budget. Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens looks reasonable although $300 is still a little more than what I want to spend.

3) As per TCav's suggestions, I am going to rule out the Close-up lenses - (My options #1 & #2). I don't want a low maximum focusing distance nor do I want these lenses introducing flaws.

4) I don't I want Extension Tubes either. Its not only because it reduces the maximum focussing distance and cumbersome to remove, but its also expensive ($180). At that price, I can get a dedicated macro lens.

5) Thanks for making me aware of the problems with Sigma lenses. I like the Tamron 70-300 Di LD because of the 300mm zoom. However, the macro does not sound that great. It says the Macro magnification ratio is 1:7.4. If 1:2 bad, this sounds even worse. Also what is its maximum focussing distance?

Thanks to both of you for willing to help me with such newbie questions. I hope I'll get to order the lenses in a week or so.

Thanks,
Nev

Last edited by nevjac; May 19, 2010 at 9:32 PM.
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:41 PM   #15

30mm will have you're almost on top of you subject. So you really need to be careful that the camera and your body does not shadow the subject. That is the main problem with such a short macro lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 19, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:53 PM   #16

Ahhh ..... I missed the fact that 30mm is a fixed zoom lens. I was under the impression that 30mm was the minimum focal length and it also had a maximum focal length (which was larger). Yes, I'm convinced that 30mm may not work for me. In fact, even 50mm may not work for me. Telephoto lenses with macro capability sound like more cost-effective options for me. What do you think?
Old May 19, 2010, 11:15 PM   #17

On a related note, have any of you experimented with reversing a lens using a reversing ring? What are the cons?
Old May 19, 2010, 11:20 PM   #18

They are more complicated to use. But works well.

I have used a 50mm before. And it gives you decent working space, allot more then the 30mm.

But I prefer a true macro lens over extension tubes or reversing lenses. Not a fan of added glass in front of a quality lens.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:24 PM   #19

A 50mm with the 1.5x crop factor of the sony, it will give you the eq. of a 75mm lens.

Here is an example of what a 35mm macro lens on a m4/3 crop body of 2x can do, 70mm eq. You have better working distance, once you factor that in.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...5mm-3-5-a.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 19, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:38 PM   #20

His is an example of my 100mm macro. I rather not fuss with revering lenses or extension tubes.

There are examples on page 4 and 5

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...co-lens-4.html