Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:50 AM   #11

You've opened up this discussion quite a bit. I'd say that the T1i is superior to the D5000 in every way except price, and while the Nikon 18-105 is longer than the kit lens, it has trouble with vignetting and distortion. Depending on what you intend to photograph (which you haven't mentioned) the differences between the two may or may not affect you. In fact, if shooting video isn't important, I'd pick the Sony A500 over the Nikon D5000.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:24 PM   #12

I know, I apologize for going off topic of the Sony a230/a500 dslrs. But the main use of this camera will be for taking photos of our baby girl, vacations, sports and dabbling in some unique shots with scenic landscapes and my toys (cars, bikes etc). The video would be handy for those quick moments when our little girl decides to do something we want to record.

I think the T1i is good, but I don't know if its better than the D5000 in every way. I see that it has a better lcd, higher resolution and little better video recording. But aside from that what else is better?
Slayer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:27 PM   #13

The T1i has a better autofocus system for sports/action/wildlife photography (that is, keeping focused on moving subjects.) In fact, in that arena, the D3000/D5000 are the worst entry level dSLRs. So for your shooting sports, and for when your baby girl gets big enough to run around, the T1i will be a better choice. In addition, if the activities you want to shoot happen indoors, like basketball, volleyball, cheering, etc. Both Canon and Nikon have reasonably priced lenses that would be appropriate, but the Nikon lenses won't autofocus on the D5000. You need to go to a D90 for that (like I did.)

The T1i also can go up to ISO 12,800, while the D5000 tops out at 6,400. So the Canon is able to take properly exposed photographs in half as much light.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:53 PM   #14

Why not go to the Canon or Nikon forums for user comments? We Sony users tend to be a bit biased toward that brand. I use a Sony A200 and have yet to outgrow it's features. The main thing that I like about Sony Alphas is the fact that the Minolta Maxxum and si lenses work perfectly with them. I also consider the Japanese glass (Minolta) to be much better than the Chinese glass (Sony).
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:26 PM   #15

The canon T1i is a better camera then the D5000. Like Tcav said, it has a much better AF system the the nikon. Actually in the entry and mid grade level dslr market, canon has the best AF. Second best low light next to the Pentax K-x. And most likely the most advance HD system for a dslr. But HD is better in the micro 4/3 system as their live view systems are better then dslr's. And it has the most lens selection of any brand out there.

Sony had the best liveview, but neither of sony mention had HD. But between the A230 and the A500. I would go with the A500, it has better low light ability the the A230, so it will be better for indoor photos.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:27 PM   #16

Sorry, I never intended to start a Sony Alpha post and then switch to a different brand.. I didn't go with Sony or Canon in the end. I got a smoking deal on a Nikon D90 instead. I am very happy with it and I haven't regretted the decision at all. I ended up getting the D90 brand new for less than a Sony A500 and the Canon T2i. And it came with a 18-105 lens vs. the 18-55 lens that normally comes with the kits.

Thanks for all the opinions, and happy shooting to you all.
Slayer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:28 PM   #17

The D90 is an excellent camera. Congrats. The 18-105 is the normal lens that comes with some of the D90 packages. 18-55 is the lens that comes with the d5000.