Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
TCav, I served six years US Navy. My GI Bill went a long way tword putting me through college. Are you a Shellback? (what a long day that was)
I spent nine years in the Navy, but my Rating was Instrumentman, so I was only ever assigned to Tenders which don't spend a lot of time at sea. Other Navy ships are doing their jobs while underway, but we did our jobs while in port. Going to sea was a vacation for me. I never go close to the equator.

I only got seasick twice. Once was in the Straits of Formosa during a typhoon, and the other was in the North Atlantic in Winter. I was also playing Pinochle both times, so I might have just had really bad hands.

I took advantage of the GI Bill too, but I never got my Degree.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
There are reports about it interfering with the auto-eye-start sensor. Others say there's no problem. Perhaps installation differences or something. The price seems high but that's how it goes. I may get one just for the relief it delivers.
Frank. I had read these reports as well but the user reviews of camera gear can be all over the place. With the sensor location I can see how adding to the viewfinder could be an issue. When it comes in and I have had a chance to try it I will report back and let you know if it works.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:37 AM   #13

[QUOTE=TCav;1103359] I was also playing Pinochle both times, so I might have just had really bad hands. [QUOTE]

The last time I played Pinochle was in the Navy. I served aboard an AOE doing underway replenishment duty. We did a stretch in the Indian Ocean of 148 days at sea. As soon as it was over we rafted to the tender servicing our group. (the Hector if I remember correctly) The ship was not much to look at but her crew was first rate.

You were dead on in regard to the MD lenses. I tried several of them with the AF confirm adapter and the results were less than satisfying. I have a lot to learn with this body so a better understanding of the camera may yield better results.

And big time loud. With one exception all of my lenses date to the Maxxum film camera days and they do seem to make more noise than the newer lenses but they are nothing compared to the body. It is louder than my Mamiya 645 film camera and that is impressive.

Steve
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:11 PM   #14

Quote:
The last time I played Pinochle was in the Navy.
My parents were tired of playing two handed, so they taught me to play cut-throat as soon as my hands were big enough to hold the cards. I was 7.

I haven't played in a while, but I'm always looking for a game.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:20 PM   #15

Quote:
We did a stretch in the Indian Ocean of 148 days at sea. As soon as it was over we rafted to the tender servicing our group. (the Hector if I remember correctly) The ship was not much to look at but her crew was first rate.
The USS Hector (AR-7) was commissioned in November of '44. No, she wouldn't have been much to look at, but she did ok. So good, in fact, that they kept her going until '87, when they struck a bunch of Tenders from the rosters, and transferred most of the Auxilliaries to the Military Sealift Command.

I was stationed aboard the USS Vulcan (AR-5) which was commissioned in June of '41, and served continuously until September of '91!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:34 PM   #16

That is an amazing service life for a ship in the Navy. Her crew did a great job helping us with our heavier repairs. Cool bit of Naval history.

I received the viewfinder today. I will try it in brighter light but this evening the only thing I could see was the reflection of my eye. I have quite a bit of prism in my glasses so viewfinders have been a problem for me in the past. I can see through it as is but cannot read the information at the bottom of the display. I will pay a visit to the man who makes my glasses and see if we can come up with something.

Steve
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:16 AM   #17

I presume the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder is insufficient for your you to use it without your glasses. Sony sells Eyepiece Correctors that range from +3 to -4.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:17 AM   #18

I have enough adjustment to focus without glasses and without them it works fine until I have to look up at normal distances. I have a nasty astigmatism so while my vision eye to eye is fine without the glasses I will see overlapped images. If at all possible I would prefer a solution that lets me wear my glasses instead of taking them off to shoot and then putting them right back on.

I had handled enough DSLR's to know I was going to have this problem and was my reasoning in waiting to buy until a well reviewed Sony version of live view became available.

For lack of a better term it seems to be an eye relief issue. (less than optimal eye relief narrows the field of view and will tend to clip the corners) I can find the focus just not the full field of view. I have the same problem with sporting optics that want to be that close.

I did see the slip on correctors and think they will be my best starting point. If I do not find one that works I will at least have a fixture to hold a custom lens. The lens in the Sony FDA-ME1AM can be removed so replacing that lens might be a solution but at the cost of the Eye Start AF. I am confident that a solution can be found. If an off the shelf fix cannot be found Morris owns and operates our local vision center and has worked with optical lenses for better than 40 years so I am certain something custom can be made. My first choice is always be to buy something like this off the shelf whenever possible. (thought a big part of me enjoys the problem solving)

Thank you for the input

Steve
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:56 AM   #19

I have a similar problem. The vision in my right eye is pretty bad, so I use my left eye, while wearing glasses, for the optical viewfinder. (See my Avatar.) I can see almost the entire frame (or at least that portion that's visible in the viewfinder.) I shoot mostly sports/action, so I generally don't have time to look at the status displays very often anyway, but I can see them when I want to, though at the expense of some of the frame.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:45 PM   #20
Administrator

Personally, I don't worry about it. I've been wearing glasses for many years (near sighted, bad astigmatism). I've got a bad habit of framing a scene too tightly anyway, which can cause issues later when I need to crop for the desired print size (not enough extra room to crop and still have what I want in the frame). So, not having a better view can actually help reduce that problem for me. :-)

Now, I do appreciate the better viewfinder in models like my A700, as compared to the viewfinder used in the A500/A550 models. But, frankly, I really didn't pay that much attention to the viewfinder when using the A500 and A550 when I had a chance to use these models for a while not long ago, even though I wear eyeglasses. That's probably because I've got an older KM 5D that has roughly the same viewfinder and I was already used to it.

If it bothers you, I'd probably get the Sony Eyepiece mentioned.

As for Eye Start AF, I disable it anyway to prevent battery depletion, since that feature is easily turned on from the camera's viewfinder sensors getting near your shirt when wearing one around your neck. :-)

My A700 has a grip sensor to help out (you have to be holding the grip before the eye start sensors will work). But, most other Sony models don't have a grip sensor that works in conjunction with eye start.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote