Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:31 AM   #21

hi caligal let me ask you a question please.
I have the 200 alpha with 70-300 sigma and 75-300 sony.and Im thinking of buyiny the 70-300 g sony lens and carl ziess 16-80mm and my question is will they all work on the 550 alpha and if you want you can give me your opinion about the lens too thank you.
. for your photo it was cool I like animals any one is more than welcome to share their opinion
zaboot1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:19 PM   #22

The Zeiss 16-80 and the 70-300 'G' are the best lenses of their kind, and they'll work with any Sony Alpha dSLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:45 PM   #23

thank you TCav
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:53 PM   #24

I bought an Alpha 200 when they were first released, in fact I still have it and still shoot it on occasion. I also bought a Sigma 70-300mm apo dg at the same time, I had to send it back to sigma 5 times, and one of those times they replaced it with a new one. Stripped Gears. I then sold the last lens they replaced it with never mounting it on a camera, and purchased the Tamron 70-300mm DI that I still use today. I now have an Alpha 550 with the Sony 70-300mm G lens as well as other lenses both shorter and longer. The Sony 70-300mm G is worth every penny it costs. Since my main subject is Birds the reach is a little short, so they say, I beg to differ with them. If you don't have a 1000mm lens then you must use stealth to get those close shots.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:13 PM   #25

Default bad luck

thank you 2many for your reply .I have a hobby in photo graphy since 1982 I bought my 200 alpha 2 years ago and I was pleased with it and the whole dslr experience (18-55mm).
I was in dubai two month ago there was a shop selling only lens so I said to what will fit my 200a he offered the sigma apo dg 70-300mm reasonable price good features I still have it but I dont like to use it now I am using the 75-300mm its ok .I would like to sell my sigma but the problem is nobody intrested in buying lens in kuwait .
now I am intrested in cz 16-80and g70-300mm.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:06 AM   #26

Sigma 70-300 isn't Sigma 70-300 :-) .... there exist FOUR different models.

DG Macro
APO DG Macro
APO Macro SuperII
Macro SuperII

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 30, 2010 at 6:13 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Sigma 70-300 isn't Sigma 70-300 :-) .... there exist FOUR different models.

DG Macro
APO DG Macro
APO Macro SuperII
Macro SuperII
... but they all suffer from the same flaw.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:51 AM   #28

I'm using Olympus Zuiko 70-300 for Oly 510, Lumix G1, Lumix GH1 ... and pictures are EXCELLENT!
It's the same like Sigma 70-300 (intern identical, extern it looks different) - identical structure/construction.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:18 AM   #29

But the Sony Alphas from the 700 on use a stronger autofocus motor, and the AF gearing in these older Sigma lenses can't take it.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:20 AM   #30
Administrator

The problem occurs primarily on newer (models after the A100) Sony dSLR models, apparently because their higher torque motors for Autofocus put more strain on the lens components (e.g. gear axle shafts, gears). Note that the Sony dSLR models use a camera body based motor for driving lenses like the Sigma 70-300mm models.

Stripped gears with Sigma lenses has been reported by a number of Sony dSLR users. It seems to occur more often with the budget 70-300mm lenses. I know that Carl (the founder of alphamountworld) indicated the gears on his stripped within two hours of using one with the A700. You can also find posts from some of our members here about stripped gears with Sigma 70-300mm lenses.

I've also seen multiple reports of some of the other Sigma models stripping gears, too (for example, I've see more than one Sony user reporting stripped gears with the 400 f/5.6). I've also seen reports of some of the other Sigma lenses stripping gears on Sony dSLR models.

Of course, you can have stripped gears with any camera/lens combo. The only lens I've ever had with stripped gears is a Sigma 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF "Zoom Master" on a Nikon body (also with a screw drive AF System).

Now some Sony dSLR users have never had any issues with their Sigma 70-300mm lenses. But, I've seen too many reports of problems with stripped gears to recommend them for use with a Sony dSLR.

Note that the A700 has an AF Drive Speed setting (Fast or Slow). So, setting it to Slow might help with lens reliability. But, the Sony dSLR models below the A700 do not have that option (they do not have an AF Drive speed setting).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote