Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Default Gambling on Sony

I almost switched to Canon yesterday but the owner who owns both Sony and Canon Systems decided he going to go with Canon.

I'm now prepared to spend a lot of money to get his two G lens and 58 flash.

I keep having these bad visions of Sony closing up shop in their DSLR market in the next couple of years. That would leave me holding my cards too long and losing a lot of money. I sure hope that's not the case.

Anyone else have that feeling?
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:57 PM   #2

well they are stopping the a900. that only leaves the a850 as their flagship dslr. They are pumping allot into their evil line with the nex 3,5 and 7 later down the road. But they do have a ton of enter and advance level dslr with the 200, 300, 500 series alpha's. And the 700 may get updated finally. But I doubt sony will close shop on their dslr line. You may not see as much in their lens development and that is about it I think.

Remember people have been saying pentax was on it's last legs for years. And they keep coming out with new product. Just not as quickly as their competitions. But they are alive and kicking. So that feeling that sony does not put much into their dslr is there, but it is just a feeling.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Administrator

They've released 9 dSLR models in the last 14 months (A230, A290, A330, A380, A390, A450, A500, A550, A850), which is more than Canon and Nikon combined during that time frame. ;-)

They've got more on the way for this year. See the dSLR news sections on some of their sites. Here's a quote from one of them:

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/dslr/latest-news

Quote:
Sony’s DSLR range keeps on growing. Look out for more exciting new models that combine stunning image quality with powerful, easy to use features. Key facts:
  • Mid-range successor to DSLR-A700 in development
  • More new DSLR models launching in 2010
  • Newly-developed Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor
  • AVCHD format video recording
  • New lenses include Distagon T* 24mm f/2, G 500mm f/4
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:11 AM   #4
Administrator

As for lenses, I'm sure they'll want to sell some to go with all of those dSLR bodies they're manufacturing. ;-)

One thing they are doing is releasing some really good glass in their pro grade lens lineup (their Carl Zeiss series lenses and their G series lenses). Some of them are best in class, and I expect that trend will continue (as with the upcoming Sony/Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm f/2; and Sony 500mm f/4 G)

It takes time to ramp up production, as they're the "new kid on the block" in the dSLR arena.

I do think they should have released the A700 successor last year. If you believe the rumor mills, they had it ready to go and decided to cancel the project until they could incorporate video. In any event, they're working on a replacement (that will include AVCHD video), as they've already announced.

As for a higher end body after that, we'll have to wait and see. Also remember that manufacturers do tend to play some cards "close to the vest".
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:37 PM   #5

Is there something you've wanted to do with your Sony (et al.) gear, but couldn't? If not, why worry?

Sony is in the dSLR business for the long haul. Sony entered into an agreement with Konica Minolta in early 2005, so they could get help developing their own dSLR business. Sony and Konica Minolta both had long standing relationships with Zeiss and Tamron, so it was natural for Sony to pick Konica Minolta as a technology partner. (Minolta used Zeiss lenses for its still cameras for years, and Sony used Zeiss lenses for its pro level videocameras for years. And Konica Minolta resold Tamron lenses for years , and Sony is a major stockholder in Tamron.)

Sony has released more dSLR models (since buying Konica Minolta) than anyone else, and makes many of the image sensors that other manufacturers use in their dSLRs.

Sony is in the market whether they want to be or not, so why wouldn't they at least hold there own? And they're exceeding expectations, and have been every step of the way. There's no reason to suspect that will change in the near future.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:41 PM   #6

If a person was in the market for a full frame camera and was not interested in video with a DSLR do you think this is a good time to shop? It would need to have "Live View" and able to work well in moderate to lower light situations.

I love my A550 but I am butt up against the limitations of the APS-C sensor and my short lenses. When I was first shopping and saw the 10 to 20mm zoom lenses (or a 5.4mm fish eye for crying out loud) I did not get it but I do now. For what it will cost for another fish eye, short zoom and most likely another shorter prime lens I can buy a body and use the lenses I already own. (I have said that before)

JimC, I do not know if you have hands on with the reviewing process but you seem to know the product line inside and out and I respect your opinions when it comes to cameras. The is a strong knowledge base among the members of this board and it is nice that they seem so willing to share that with the less experienced.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
If a person was in the market for a full frame camera and was not interested in video with a DSLR do you think this is a good time to shop? It would need to have "Live View" and able to work well in moderate to lower light situations.

I love my A550 but I am butt up against the limitations of the APS-C sensor and my short lenses. When I was first shopping and saw the 10 to 20mm zoom lenses (or a 5.4mm fish eye for crying out loud) I did not get it but I do now. For what it will cost for another fish eye, short zoom and most likely another shorter prime lens I can buy a body and use the lenses I already own. (I have said that before)
I'm not clear on something. APS-C dSLRs are smaller, lighter and less expensive, and have a greater selection of lenses than 'Full Frame' dSLRs. There are only a handful of things that a 'Full Frame' dSLR is actually more useful for, and most of them are slight and/or very specialzed.

What do you want to do that can't already? What limitations are you bumping into?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:27 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
JimC, I do not know if you have hands on with the reviewing process but you seem to know the product line inside and out and I respect your opinions when it comes to cameras.
I really don't like to comment on my involvement, as my primary concern is taking care of the forums. I'll make a rare exception in this case, as I do try to keep up with Sony's progress (as the camera I currently use more often is a Sony A700). If you look at some of the dSLR review samples (including Sony models like the A500, A550 and A850), you just might notice that some of the photos were taken in Savannah, where I just happen to live (photos after the ISO series samples).

A number of staff members are involved in providing input to the reviews you find here. A lot of work goes into all of them, and you'll find that Will (Editor-in-Chief, a.k.a., member name Billy here in the forums) does most of the work in producing what you see here in the very detailed reviews with menu screen captures, ISO series samples, comparable photos of the same subjects in most reviews, and *much* more. I must be getting old, as I wish I had his energy. ;-)

My involvement is only minor and intermittent, as I only take care of the forums for the most part. For more info about the people involved with Steve's, see this page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/about-us.html
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:47 PM   #9

The biggest thing I think I am losing right now is field of view with what would have been short lenses with a 35mm. I have a friend that runs a manufactured home/portable office business and I have stared doing all of their photography. The 16mm lens becomes a 24mm part I got up front but going from 180 degree views to 90 degree is a substantial loss when trying to do shots of rooms in the buildings. I am also doing the same type of shots for a local Realtor and my shots would be much better with the full field of view.

Extreme wide angles indoors. Am I still not seeing this correctly? I can buy a shorter lens that with a field of view that fits my APS-C sensor (about 10mm down from your diagram) or for the tight indoor shooting I can pick up a camera that uses a sensor that better matches the equipment I have. Full frame indoors and my A550 outdoors where the sensor size works to my advantage.

Steve
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:59 PM   #10

JimC, I had not seen that particular page. I keep telling myself that as a joke I should end one of my posts commenting that I should probably send a case of something nice to whomever assigned you and TCav to be my handlers when I registered.

Come to find out that if such assignments were actually made it would be you doing them.