Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:44 PM   #11

The umbrella shot was a bit of an experiment with apertures and shutter speeds without any specific subject. I was more seeing how the lighting contrasts were picked up, the range from the shade under the umbrellas to the light of the sky. It seemed a good view for perspective and color at the same time.

The cityscapes were fun - I discovered the BULB feature on the M setting and was toying with that to test shake stability (and my own hand stability) and am incredibly pleased with how they came out. I have a couple I'll be posting from a late-night get together that was lit only by tea candles in hanging lanterns and a string of hanging lights. I'll link those when they're up.

Thanks for the feedback!
MakingTheLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:12 PM   #12

You shot Blub handheld? You're brave.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You shot Blub handheld? You're brave.
A couple of times...I need to keep better track of when and where, though - I'm pretty sure a couple of the city shots were with bulb. Admittedly, though, I was helped by the fence for vertical stability.

The others I was playing with are up, too - full night of tea light lanterns and small bulbs. That was fun and I don't think I did bulb - or was too scared to leave my finger on the trigger long.

Original:

Touched with some fill light:

MakingTheLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:11 AM   #14

I would strongly recommend that you acquire a few Minolta Maxxum lenses rather than cobble up adapters for lenses ill suited to ease of use. The Maxxum lenses will allow all auto features provided by the kit lens. They are all BETTER than the kit lens regarding performance. Over the past year I was able to buy 50mm f1.7 for $100.00, a 28-105mm zoom xi for $85.00, and a fabulous 100-300mm APO zoom for $225.00. All of these lenses are in excellent condition and all were found on Ebay at "buy now" prices. I also sold the 18-70mm kit lens for $75.00.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote