Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:23 AM   #1

Default Sigma for Alpha

I have a chance to pick up a Sigma 50-500 F/4-6.3 EX HSM. I have read of higher than acceptable failure rates in some of the Sigma lenses for the sony mount and was wondering what some of the opinions might be in regards to this lens.

Within the Sigma brand are there any lenses that are to be avoided? Are there any nice enough to grab if they are available? I have a nice inventory of available lenses but the person trying to sell these is looking for a quick buck so the prices are attractive.

I appreciate any advice anyone might have to offer

Steve

Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:17 AM   #2

The Sigma lenses that have ahd trouble are the older designs that use the AF motor in the camera body. Those lenses actually perform ok on other bodies, but every Sony Alpha except the A100 has a stronger AF motor that apparently is stronger than those lenses can handle. Then biggest problem seems to be with the Sigma 70-300. The lens you're talking about has its own (HSM) AF motor, so it won't be affected by the stronger AF motor in Sony Alphas.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:30 PM   #3

I remember looking for a long zoom a couple of years back. I decided to go with the Tamron 200-500. It was lighter and picked up where my smaller zoom ended.
HSM changes things, but it's even going to be heavier.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:27 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies.

With the HSM could there be current limit issues for the body to lens contacts and the body wiring? As lenses go this one is moving more mass than most.

I can buy this lens and a Sigma 17-70 together for less than I just payed for a new 17-50 F/2.8 Tamron that TCav had recommended. (nice pick TCav) As long as the lenses work as advertised with no design related issues I can sell them and buy gear for the local school.

The input is appreciated

Steve
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:54 AM   #5

I've never heard of any problems like that with the Bigma on an Alpha, and since the same could be true on any brand, I've never heard of any problems like that with the Bigma on any body.

When Minolta first released the A-Mount, they sold licenses to the technology to third party lens manufacturers. Sigma elected to reverse engineer the mount instead. It's first batch of lenses worked fine on Minolta's first series of AF bodies, but didn't (and don't) on subsequent series, so Sigma bought the license, and everything that Sigma has made since has worked fine. The problem of stripping the AF gears in the 70-300 only happened because of their older designs and the stronger AF motors in newer Alphas. There's no reason to suspect that Sigma lenses are any less reliable than lenses from any other manufacturer.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:57 PM   #6

You might be interested in viewing some images that Lin Evans posted on the latest 50-500 HSM IS. The images look pretty good - I think sharper than my current 50-500.

http://s194715615.onlinehome.us//sd10/sig5os.html

Lin is a moderator here in another forum so you may be able to PM him and get a response here.

Here's a comment Lin made in another forum:
http://photocamel.com/forum/sigma-fo...ml#post1053410

Last edited by NewsyL; Jul 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Thank you again for your replies.

I went ahead and bought the lenses with the intention of selling them both. I can pay myself back what I spent and have enough left over so my Masonic Lodge can buy and donate a new Nikon body to our local school. This is cattle and timber country so the AV program is definitely the welfare child of the school system so I do what I can. 50 new footballs is no problem but forget buying a new camera. (or a used one for that matter)

I did not want to buy and then sell something if I knew there was a better than even chance there would be problems.

Steve

Is that the Sopwith in your Avatar?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:04 PM   #8

Good luck!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
Is that the Sopwith in your Avatar?
It's a rebuilt flyable Sopwith Triplane. Unfortunately they don't fly it because, and I think the story goes something like this, they rebuilt it to the original 1917 doping formula for the canvas on the wings and Transport Canada during the licensing process ruled the risk of fire (from sparks from the engine I think) too great for it to fly . But it is as they flew them in WWI and it is safe enough to act as a static display.

More here...
http://newsy.smugmug.com/Airplanes/C...-Space-Museum/

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Good luck!
Thank you TCav. I will need it. I do not know why but despite my best intentions the little deals never seem to work out as planned. I bought them dirt cheap so I should do alright this time.

NewsyL Great images of the planes. The web site said they were starting on a B-17. The Confederate Air Force out in West Texas did one and it is a beautiful plane but what a huge job. I like seeing the old planes brought back to life and put on display for the public.

Steve