Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:03 AM   #11
NHL

Why would Sony introduces new lenses for FF if they were going to discontinue them?
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony_24_2_m15/

BTW this just reinforced their WA zooms line up which are already IMV better than what the competition has to offer before this introduction. IS in WA is also quite unique for any manufacturers... (I would shoot the messenger instead )

Last edited by NHL; Jul 28, 2010 at 6:09 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
Why would Sony introduces new lenses for FF if they were going to discontinue them?
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony_24_2_m15/

BTW this just reinforced their WA zooms line up which are already IMV better than what the competition has to offer before this introduction. IS in WA is also quite unique for any manufacturers... (I would shoot the messenger instead )
Because both the new lenses and even a new full-frame camera are already in the pipeline and are ready for release. Assuming the rumor is true, what would happen is that research and development for future FF products would dry up - presumably redirected toward mirrorless cameras. Sony's FF products wouldn't disappear overnight... but slowly fade away over a few years.

As I said in an earlier post, the rumor seems to be coming from inside Sony itself... so maybe it's not a done deal.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:38 AM   #13

This rumour may self-realize. Perhaps to corporations, products have a life-time measured in years. DVD players for sure. P&S cameras perhaps 3 or 4 years. But SLRs have always been a long term investment. With the NEX using a new mount, the future of the alpha became a little suspect. With this gas on the fire, who would invest thousands of dollars in an a900 plus good quality FF lenses? Not me. So immediately sales of FF lenses will slow, sales of bodies should plummet. Let's see in a few months how it looks. I would not recommend anyone I know buy a Sony DSLR now.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
This rumour may self-realize. Perhaps to corporations, products have a life-time measured in years. DVD players for sure. P&S cameras perhaps 3 or 4 years. But SLRs have always been a long term investment. With the NEX using a new mount, the future of the alpha became a little suspect. With this gas on the fire, who would invest thousands of dollars in an a900 plus good quality FF lenses? Not me. So immediately sales of FF lenses will slow, sales of bodies should plummet. Let's see in a few months how it looks. I would not recommend anyone I know buy a Sony DSLR now.
What you say makes sense. It also may cause just the opposite for the lens's.

It may drive up the price just like some of the old Minolta lens's that are not made anymore.

Last edited by lomitamike; Jul 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:02 PM   #15

Sony not only makes 'FF' image sensors for its own dSLRs, it makes them for Nikon's 'FF' dSLRs, and for it's own professional level digital movie cameras. Sony may ultimately drop its 'FF' dSLR product line (however unlikely that might be) but they won't stop making 'FF' sensors. And since the premise of the rumor is that Sony will stop making 'FF' dSLRs because they will stop making 'FF' image sensors, the whole premise is unfounded.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:40 PM   #16

TCAV - the only sensor sony makes for nikon is for the d3x if I'm not mistaken. The d3 and d700 use nikon sensors
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 5:54 AM   #17
NHL

Actually Sony makes more than 1 full-frame imager: the professional F35 CineAlta link that TCav posted previously is not a CMOS type used in still cameras but a 35mm CCD: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-F35/

... and we already know they are working on another 34.8Mp FF so let start another rumor:
http://ylovephoto.com/en/cat/slr/sony/sony-alpha-950/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote