Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:04 PM   #1

Default potential bad news for full frame

http://www.bythom.com/

This would be a real shame as I think Sony produced quite a product in the 900/850. But, I guess quality doe not always equal profitability.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:27 PM   #2

It's all about the bottom line $$. That sucks for all the people who recently sold all their DX lenses in order to buy new FF lenses for their 900/850s. But at least they can still use the FF lens on DX sensors.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:30 PM   #3

Sony also makes FF image sensors for Nikon. In fact, they made FF image sensors for Nikon before they made any for themselves. Nikon needs enough of them to keep Sony making them, and if they're making them for Nikon, chances are they'll make a few forthemselves.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:41 PM   #4

Well, that was part of his blog - the thought that Nikon may have to make their own like they are doing with their smaller full frame sensors in the D3 and d700.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:07 PM   #5

Yeah, that is too bad... if for no other reason than Sony's full-frame cameras were/are pretty good. At least Sony will still apparently bring out its next FF camera (Photokina?).

If this rumor is true, I suspect it has to do with Sony's failure to capture 20% of the market as was its stated goal when it bought Konica-Minolta. Plus, it seems Sony is concentrating on the consumer market rather than true professionals.

If that's the case, then it may make sense to allow FF R&D and production to wind down while pushing development, sales and marketing of things like its NEX line of mirrorless cameras and things like 3D photography (to help it push 3D televisions and media players).
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:00 PM   #6

I don't buy it. One of Sony's hottest products right now is the F35/1 CineAlta Digital Movie Camera, which uses a 35mm image sensor. It can use the same lenses that have been used for decades on film movie cameras. Everybody wants one of these things. Why would Sony stop production of its image sensor?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:43 PM   #7

I would hate to see Sony out of the FF market. I think that the intro of the relatively low priced FF Sony A850 was a prime reason for Canon to lower the price of their great FF...the 5D Mk. 11.

I don't know how many A850's Sony sold but I think Canon made a great counter move cutting the 5D price significantly in response to the intro of the A850...think Nikon did a similar price cut with the D 700.

The FF field is small...even with price cuts the cost of a FF is still expensive.

I think Pentax made a good move introducing a medium format, rather then an FF...that although pricey...still is about the most reasonable cost for a Medium Format in the industry. Pentax IMO, made a good move not going into FF at this time, as it's almost mission impossible to crack Canon and Nikon's hold on this market.

Pentax just has to step up the marketing on the 645 and their other cameras, IMO.

I don't have any Sony equipment, but I hope Sony doesn't drop out of the DSLR market...both FF and cropped sensor.

I think if I had to start over...I would either continue with Pentax (cropped sensor)..or maybe go FF.

But for FF...I wouldn't consider Sony...it would be Canon (5D Mk. 11) first...then Nikon D700.

In the end I prefer Canon FF....I like the 5D Mk. 11 and the Canon L lenses.

Canon of course has really established itself as the big player in FF.

I wish Sony would stick in the FF Pro market longer....it's not easy breaking into a market absolutely dominated by Canon and Nikon.

I know I wouldn't want to invest in a lot of high end FF equipment, then find out the manufacturer is pulling out of that market. What are the Sony pros going to do ?

Sony of course are well established in the pro video camera market and I think they wanted to be a force in the pro still camera business.

So I hope they stay in...in a short period of time they have done well in the DSLR market....aren't they around # 3 (cropped sensor DSLR) ?

Last edited by lesmore49; Jul 27, 2010 at 6:45 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:19 PM   #8

This is like a shock to me. I was having to decide whether to buy FF lenses for my a550 so I'd be all set into the future. I don't think I'll worry about that anymore.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
This is like a shock to me. I was having to decide whether to buy FF lenses for my a550 so I'd be all set into the future. I don't think I'll worry about that anymore.
The future is not 'Full Frame'.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:12 PM   #10

There's no doubt Sony's presence in the FF market has been good for consumers - as Lesmore said above, the A850 probably forced Canon and Nikon to lower their prices. But Lesmore also sums up a few reasons why it might make sense for Sony to abandon the format - i.e. he'd buy Canon or Nikon for FF before he'd buy Sony. Perhaps Sony should have kept using the Minolta name on its DSLRs.

But perhaps it's not a done deal. Thom Hogan says the rumor began inside of Sony itself - perhaps by engineers unhappy with an imminent decision by upper management. If that's so, they would want the word out in time for consumers to communicate their desires to Sony.

So... if you're a Sony DSLR owner - or someone who would seriously consider one - get on Sony's website now and tell them not to drop full-frame cameras. Let them know your interested in buying one. Tell them the very existence of a FF Sony DSLR makes you take the rest of their line of cameras more seriously. List the reasons you think leaving the FF market would be a mistake.

But, in the end, while we might not like it, it still might be a good move for Sony. I can see that, as a consumer electronics company, the future might be with the NEX still cameras and the NEX-VG10E video camera. And, I might add, I agree with Thom Hogan's opinion that dedicated video cameras like the NEX-VG10E will undermine the market for video-capable DSLRs.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote