Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:11 AM   #1

Default Another afternoon hike with another lens

This time out was a special one. I don't know about you but ever since I bought my 5D some 5 years or so ago I've always dreamed of one day getting the Minolta 70-200 f/2.8 G.

Well I didn't get it. But I did just manage to get the Sony version from a friend who just bought a Canon 7D and decided to say adios to Sony.

I have very mixed feelings about this lens at this time and I'll share them for others who someday would like to get this lens.

I just recently posted a thread in this forum

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...s-beercan.html

and I've got to say that the beercan really is a great lens. You cannot beat the IQ to cost ratio of this lens. Take a look at that thread before you look at these and tell me if you notice a HUGE difference.

Now, I know that this is a lens for special situations, such as low light sports, weddings and other special situations but I just don't think it's worth the HUGE price.

During the hike I was surprised that it did not seem as heavy as I was expecting, but it is more of an attention getter then the beercan.

Now for the photo's. My wife and son joined me for a hike and I shot about 175 photo's. These are processed with Aperture 2.1.4. Editing includes slight saturation, vibrancy and definition boost, highlight recovery adjustment. NO sharpening was applied.

EXIF is in the shots.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:20 AM   #2

These next shots are a warning to show you what can happen when you jump around on wet boulders.

The colors seem to be more saturated and there's better contrast with the G compared to the beercan but with decent PP skills you can get them really close in IQ.
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:28 AM   #3

I'm glad I finally got a hold of this lens but I'm even happier that I did not pay full retail for it.

The Tamron or Sigma versions of this lens I feel are a smarter way to go if you want to buy new.

Next hike will be the Sony 70-400 G the best tele-zoom lens in the Sony line-up in my opinion.

A few more shots
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:58 AM   #4

Hi Mike. I have to say no, I don't see a huge difference, but given a different situation where the f2.8 could be utilized and the difference might be greater. Having said that, the photos on this page seem to be ok to very sharp. Like you said, this lens would be better for a wedding or some sports. I think, for the money, and what I would use it for, the Tamron WOULD be my choice. Great pics, by the way...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote