Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:06 PM   #1

Default Help, sony a230 using Sigma AF 28-105mm F3.8-5.6 Aspherical auto focus lens no imagin

Please help! I recent purchase a Sigma AF 28-105mm F3.8-5.6 Aspherical IF auto focus lens to replace the kit lens from my Sony a230. I have an issue with the new lens, however. When I use the new lens in Manual focus mode, it takes great pics, but when I shift to auto focus mode, i did not get any image, or, as i look closely, i can only get a very very dim and dark images! Has any encountered similiar problem before? Do I need to adjust some settings? Or, there is a compatiblity problem? Many thanks!
xsuihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:38 PM   #2
Administrator

It looks like there is a compatibility issue of some type with that lens when using Auto or P mode with it. The first reviewer in the reviews at dyxum.com mentions that it defaults to f/16 with flash (which is going to result in a very reduced flash range, causing underexposed images). I see another user later down on the page mentioning the camera picks f/16 with Auto or P mode. I'd see how it behaves using non-Auto modes to see if you can get around the issue (i.e., use manual exposure or aperture priority with it). Here are the reviews I'm referring to:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...review136.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:56 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Compatibility issues with third party lenses are relatively rare, and usually only older Sigma lens designs have any issues. Apparently, Sigma "reverse engineered" the communication protocol with the camera bodies, and sometimes missed things that Minolta (and now Sony) implemented in newer bodies. With some lenses, Sigma can "rechip" them for better compatibility with newer bodies. So, you may want to check with them. But, I wouldn't count on it for a consumer grade lens.

That is a *very* odd issue (using f/16 with auto or p modes). I don't recall hearing about that kind of compatibility issue before, and was surprised to see that isue reported when reading user reviews for it. Personally, that probably wouldn't impact my shooting (as I would probably not use Auto or P modes, especially with flash). So, you may want to see if using another mode would get around the issues.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:23 PM   #4

Default Thanks

I reset the camera. Somehow the images get out. I am not quite sure if I have thus resolved the issue or it will come back. But thanks for the information.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:18 AM   #5
Administrator

That's interesting. Please keep us posted so that others will know if a reset can solve the issue or not.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:16 PM   #6

Default It comes back!

The problem I mentioned earlier, however, comes back. It comes back once I use the auto or P mode to take pics. Once you use the modes, not only the images in these modes are dark, but also other modes. It looks like the camera has some kind of memory. But one odd thing is that this problem does not occur in every occasion. My impression is that it happens more often when the light is not very good. But I have not fully verified this point yet. Overall, it is really an issue right now and I am contacting the ebay seller to see if I can return the lens to him. Still uncertain. But it is nevertheless an interesting thing to report the whole issue and know some kind of mechanism from the problem. Thanks again.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:41 PM   #7

Default The flash is the problem!

After playing with the lens for several days. It looks to me that the main problem is caused by the automatic flash in Auto, P, and other modes. Once you turn off the flash, the lens works perfectly fine. I guess the problem is mainly caused by Sigma's miscalcuation of the exposure. So, should I keep the lens or resell it on Ebay? Your advice is appreciated.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:54 PM   #8

I am having the exact same problem with a Sigma 28-200 Aspherical lens IF onan Alpha 330. I originally bought these lens 7 years ago for my Minolta Maxxum film camera.

I have the same issues as discussedin these posts. Noticed a better picture and less darker w/out a flash (have yet to try the external flash) but still dark with the flash off but better.

In all modes seems to work ok when not in Auto mode? Any ideas, I have not contacted Sigma yet.
bmfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:59 PM   #9

Do you have some sample photos you can post here?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote