Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:22 PM   #11

Take a look at the sony tele
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/986/cat/83

i know folks sniff and look down their nose at sony lens in general, but slrgear gives it a reasonable review. What's your target display? Monitors? TV? Prints? The absolute quality of your lens may not be so important. What pictures do you take? Long tele shots go thru a lot of air. That'll take a toll on the apparent quality.

Read the reviews of the sony kit lens. 1855. it's pretty good. I wouldn't exchange that quality for a 1 lens solution. Personally, I've found that 18 to 70 suits my general photography very well. I seldom use the long tele zoom. I'd like a wide angle one day tho.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:20 PM   #12

Quick question: the 18mm wide angle will give me the same wide as my kit 18-70 right?
In reviews they always say the 35mm equivalent is 28-,and that kinda confuses me.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Quick question: the 18mm wide angle will give me the same wide as my kit 18-70 right?
In reviews they always say the 35mm equivalent is 28-,and that kinda confuses me.
They're applying the "Crop Factor" to the actual focal length, which is 18mm. Because of the smaller APS-C image sensor in your Sony dSLR, an 18mm lens has the same angle of view as a 28mm lens on a 35mm film camera. So the 18mm lens is said to have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 28mm.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:12 PM   #14

I presume you're looking for a longer lens for a reason, but if you're just looking for a better lens, the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 is much better than your Sony 18-70, it's faster, and it's a 1:2.3 macro lens to boot.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:51 PM   #15

Hey, if anyones out there, are there any really good quality walk around lenses in my price range that are actually reccomended, rather than the meh 18-200 or 70-300? With a smaller range perhaps, like 18-135 or less is fine if it really is better opitcally.

Also, the 18mm wide angle on the sigma will have the same wide view as my 18-70 kit right? When reviewer mention how in 35mm its 28mm i get a bit confused.

Thanks anyway!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:23 PM   #16

Yes, 18mm is 18mm.

You need to remember that, the more things you try to make a tool do, the fewer of them it will do well. You can use a standard screwdriver to loosen a phillips head screw, but the screw won't be in very good shape when you're done. The longer the zoom range a lens has, the more distortion and chromatic aberration it will have, and the less sharp it will be. If you need more range than your 18-70 is giving you, your best bet is to suppliment it, not replace it.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:24 PM   #17

Here's another thought. Why do you want another lens? What shots are you not getting now? What shots would benefit from a different focal length/wider aperture? In other words, what's your plans?

I agree it's nice to get stuff, but maybe with some discussion you'll be able to get the right stuff.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:46 AM   #18

Up front real quickly, my computer hasn't shown any new posts or responses, so that's why there's redundancy in my posts.
Well, I guess I'm just sick of my kit lens. Although it seems okay, very good compared to any old p&s, it's kind of annoying. The MF is hard hard, it's loud, it's slow. I know the 18-200s are like that, but I thought I'd enjoy the range.
But I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I should just get the 50mm and be happy with it (by the way, are there any budget telephoto primes, like a 300mm, that are better/faster than a ranged one for the same price?)
The reason Ive been thinking about this is that I have some cash and I would like to see what's out there.
As for what I want to do, I do a lot of nature stuff, which would warrant a longer lens and macro. But I also do portraits, which is what I'm guessing the prime is best for right now. And I don't want to be caught without a wide angle. I do casual photography for church friends at weddings etc, so the zoom to wide is appealing. (I have a flash I can use for indoor so speed isn't as big of a deal)
So I would like a basic setup: wide, portrait/macro, telephoto.

In conclusion, Just this morning, I found a nice deal on a Tamron 70-300mm. Very nice. So I think after all this, I'm going to get a telephoto, the prime, and live with my kit for just wide angle, so it will certainly be a change in scenery. Thanks for the convincing and help guys.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:01 PM   #19

Make sure the Tamron is the Di LD. There's a less expensive one that isn't as good.

I'f you're looking for something that's better than the kit lens, the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 is an excellent choice and it's 1:2.3 macro as well.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:37 PM   #20

The non-Di lens has a different zoom ring style, correct? The one I'm looking at looks identical to the slrgear.com one. I have seen the other one pop up from time to time.