Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1

Default Refurbised Sony a200 DSLR from Sonystyle

Recently there is a lot of refurbished DSLR on the Sony website for pretty price. I picked up an a200 with a kit lens ( 18-70mm F 3.5/5.6) for $260 and the final cost with CA tax came to $285.35. Somehow we always pay sales tax living in California since a lot these big companies has their shops set up here.
It came in today by Fedex. Fortunately, I was home today to receive it. Fedex was going leave it on the front porch since it was shipped free with no signature required. So it is good to know that if you plan to buy it from them in the future.
By looking at the camera, I can't really tell it is a refurbished unit. It comes with everything a new camera has including a lens hood. I like this very much unlike Canon DSLR which never comes with a free lens hood. I am charging the battery right now and don't have a chance to test it. I am going to test it tomorrow with a Kingston 8GB elite pro compact flash card.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:27 AM   #2

That sounds like a good deal. Good luck with it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:01 AM   #3

Default It works well

I have read different reviews on this camera including the one posted on this website. I know what it can and can't do and using it within its limitations. I use this camera mainly for snapshots kind of a point and shoot DSLR. For me, it fits my purpose and budget. So far it is working well and found it very easy to use. Compared to my Canon XSi, the pictures are a little inferior unless I am shooting in RAW format. Overall, I am happy with this purchase.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:16 AM   #4

The Sony 18-70 kit lens isn't as good as the Canon 18-55 IS kit lens you probably got with your XSi. That might account for the difference in image quality that you're seeing.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:52 PM   #5

The lens definitely determines the quality of the pictures I am going to get. I am looking into buying a Minolta 50mm F1.7 and a 28mm F2.8 from Ebay later on.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:52 PM   #6

Those are good choices. You may also want to consider the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 or 18-50/2.8 or the Tamron 17-50/2.8. They are all quite good, and stabilized on the A200. Of course, they aren't cheap, and if you're serious about maintaining two seperate systems, that might be an issue.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:19 PM   #7

The Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 seems to be within my budget about $200 at amazon.com. Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:50 PM   #8

Make sure that's the 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC and not the 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM. $200 for the 18-50/2.8 doesn't sound right.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:41 PM   #9

It is not the 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC but the 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM for $200.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:21 AM   #10

The Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM is a nice lens, but for the same price, the Sony 18-55 kit lens is as good. The Sigma is a little faster, but that's it. It's also a stabilized lens (for camera bodies that aren't stabilized), so you'll have to switch off stabilization in either the lens or your A200.