Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:25 AM   #1

Default Beercan 70-210mm vs....

I've been monitoring the eBay market (mostly) and am working towards getting the 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 to upgrade from kit lens - too many good things said about its quality versus kit to try and pass it up.

However, I'm wondering about the value of the Beercan 70-210 f4 versus other Maxxum 70-210 3.5-4.5 I've seen on the market at typically lower prices. I tried to search the forum and struck out and am wondering how much I may be sacrificing to get the half-stop better at the short end versus the half stop at the high end.

With kit, I find myself out to 70mm so much that the 5.6 is killing me for some of the shots I'm trying. Not horrible, but still, I'd like to see better at times...

More examples of what I've been trying to do are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1119884...7624462747111/

(Especially the first and 6th shots - the latter improved with exposure/fill lighting in Adobe Lightroom)

Thanks for the input!

Jason
MakingTheLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:18 AM   #2

At Dyxum.com, the average user rating (43 reviews) for the Minolta - AF 70-210 F3.5-4.5 is 4.22, and for the for the Minolta - AF 70-210 F4 (beercan) it's 4.56 (277reviews.)

In the Lens Performance Survey Results at PhotoZone.de, the Minolta AF 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 rates a 3.24, while the Minolta AF 70-210mm f/4 rates a 3.45.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the links - I've bookmarked those for future reference to review before posting questions like this one ;-)

If I read the reviews and comments right, it seems the big advantage is size and price - while I get potentially sharper images with the Beercan, the non-beercan is significantly lighter and quite often less expensive.

I think I'll give the non-beercan a run and see how satisfied I am with the raw quality vs. any time I have to spend doing touch up. I'm hoping to get one before a trip out to Boston, so will post results upon my return.
MakingTheLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:38 PM   #4

Good luck with it. It's not a bad lens; it's just not as good as the Beercan. And the Beercan was manufactured for several years, and it has a lot of fans. It was one of the otiginal Minolta AF lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote