Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
A55 and A33 - But giving it 10fps and 7fps, and not having a evf that can refresh fast enough. Will make for an interesting tracking of a fast moving object. Realistically for action shooter you can only shoot at 3fps if you need to track the subject.
If I bought one to use for birds in flight and air shows, I'd likely look into retro fitting a "red dot sight" like a lot of the Panasonic FZ20/30/50 users used to get around the limitations of their EVF's. Biggest problem would be the infamous Sony hot shoe.

http://gadget.brando.com/wildlife-ph...1c073d003.html

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:03 PM   #12

interesting solution. But the other small problem is the 50sec refresh after the burst.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:08 PM   #13

Sony's AF system (and everybody else's, for that matter) requires that the lens (or the lens + TC) to have a maximum aperture larger than f/8 (with the noteable exception of the Sony/Minolta 500mm f/8 Reflex.)

Since the A55 maintains focus while video is being recorded, does that mean the aperture can't be stopped down to f/8 and beyond. I know that, when recording video, the camera is in an AUTO mode, but this seems to imply that the aperture can't be adjusted very much. And if the lens is kept at it's maximum aperture, that limits the usefulness of those large aperture Zeiss lenses, doesn't it?

And since the A55, when using the 10FPS setting on the mode dial, is also in an AUTO mode, do the same limitations apply?

I know that there's a 10fps mode and a 6fps mode that can be set through the menues, and those modes aren't as restrictive, but how much of a limitation is the minimum aperture of f/7.1 when mantaining continuous focus, as the A55 is advertised as doing?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:50 PM   #14

Gotta love Sony. Even though their porfessional line is in question, it's obvious they're being very competitive in the entry to mid department. If they keep this up, they'll beat out Canon and Nikon in that area.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:53 PM   #15

I give it to sony, they do cater to the consumer market well with so many model. 2 consumer range sensor.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:36 PM   #16
Super Moderator

TCAV,

Phase detect requires a fully open aperture. so yea the video with phase detect will always be wide open, at least thats what i have read and looks to be the case from the examples. i am not sure if its the same for the 10fps, but i would imagine so.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:43 PM   #17

Hards,

From digging into the review. The 10fps if full auto. Similar to the nex at 10fps. The only time you get full control is when you shoot at 3fps.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:21 AM   #18

So, where's the A580?

Is Sony USA screwing up the US market again? First, we don't get the A450. Second, they announce the 3 new lenses almost a month after the rest of the world gets them. Now we don't get the 16MP A580.

Yes, the Sony dSLR selection is bottom heavy, but does that mean that Sony USA thinks we should be spared some of the better and more competitive choices?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:23 AM   #19

Here's a doozy for ya!

The A33 & A55 use the same batteries as the NEX-3 & NEX-5.

The 14MP A33 can create 270 images in 'Live View' and 340 with the viewfinder, on a single battery.

The 14MP A560 can create 560 images in 'Live View' and 1050 with the viewfinder, on a single battery.

According to the Sony A550 Instruction Manual (The A550 also creates 14MP images, like the A33 and A560.), 319 Large Fine JPEG images take up about 2GB.

Therefore, an A33 will require 2 fully charged batteries to fill a 4GB SDHC Card. And there's no vertical grip/battery pack for it. That's pretty bad for a camera that's supposed to be able to take photos at the rate of 7 per second! THAT'S LESS THAN 40 SECONDS OF SHOOTING TIME ON A SINGLE BATTERY!

And the 16MP A55 is worse! (There's no word yet about how much video you can record before the battery runs out.)

On the other hand, the A560 can almost fill a 4GB card on a single battery, when using 'Live View', and can create more than 6.5GB of images when using the viewfinder. And there's a vertical grip/battery pack for it!

The more I look at this, the more disappointed I become.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20
Super Moderator

that is quite shocking really. disappointing yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Here's a doozy for ya!

The A33 & A55 use the same batteries as the NEX-3 & NEX-5.

The 14MP A33 can create 270 images in 'Live View' and 340 with the viewfinder, on a single battery.

The 14MP A560 can create 560 images in 'Live View' and 1050 with the viewfinder, on a single battery.

According to the Sony A550 Instruction Manual (The A550 also creates 14MP images, like the A33 and A560.), 319 Large Fine JPEG images take up about 2GB.

Therefore, an A33 will require 2 fully charged batteries to fill a 4GB SDHC Card. And there's no vertical grip/battery pack for it. That's pretty bad for a camera that's supposed to be able to take photos at the rate of 7 per second! THAT'S LESS THAN 40 SECONDS OF SHOOTING TIME ON A SINGLE BATTERY!

And the 16MP A55 is worse! (There's no word yet about how much video you can record before the battery runs out.)

On the other hand, the A560 can almost fill a 4GB card on a single battery, when using 'Live View', and can create more than 6.5GB of images when using the viewfinder. And there's a vertical grip/battery pack for it!

The more I look at this, the more disappointed I become.