Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:46 PM   #1

Default Group Picture

Hi All,

I took some group pictures, but some people in the picture are out of focus. I use a 24-70f/2.8 with A900. I put it in Spot Mettering mode and usually have it at f/2.8.

Also, whats the best technique or setting for shooting wedding both indoor and outdoor on a sunny day.

Thank you for your input.
phamj57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:55 PM   #2

Can you post a reduced version of the image, so we can see what you're talking about?

The metering mode shouldn't have an effect on what's in focus and what's out of focus.

The Sony/Zeiss 24-70/2.8 is very sharp. but at its maximum aperture (f/2.8) and it's longer focal lengths, the depth of field can get quite shallow, so it is possible that some of the members of your group happened to fall outside the depth of field.

But I'd still like to see the image, if possible.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:20 PM   #3
Super Moderator

If you shot f2.8 that is going to be your problem. For groups go f8 and be safe, if I'm low on light I will go for f6.3 but usually no lower if I can help it. At 24mm I will drop a bit but it's best to keep around the f8 mark.

As TCav says spot metering is nothing to do with the focus, simply it is how the camera will meter.

As for weddings I have no set rules apart from what you've seen above. It depends on the ambient lighting, am I using flash, do I want the flash to dominate or mix with ambient. Indoors I usually shoot with 2 bodies, one with a standard zoom and the other with a tele zoom. With the tele I'm always going for a higher shutter speed where possible so will open that usually wide to f2.8.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:23 PM   #4

as you can see. the gentleman on the left is a bit out of focus..
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:32 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Yep, get that aperture closed down and you will be fine. Shooting f2.8 is fine for a single person and can be OK for a couple of people as long as you make sure they are the same distance from the lens, however doing this with a group is very very hard (even hard with 2 people as one is usually quite a bit sharper).
Old Sep 3, 2010, 2:05 AM   #6

Yes. This was shot at a focal length of 35mm, an apperture of f/2.8, and I'm guessing the focus distance to the gentleman in the center was probably about 8 feet. The depth of field only extended a little over a foot in front of that, and the gentleman on the left was closer than that.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:14 PM   #7

Mark&TCav,

so shooting at f/6-8 would be good for group? also, i usually shoot ing Aperture mode, my friend say to shoot in Program mode. Which mode would you recommend for wedding?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:21 PM   #8

I'll defer to Mark on that.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:42 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Yep, depending on your distance, focal length etc then I would stick around those settings, going for nearer 8 when the group is larger.

As for the mode, I would almost never use Aperture priority for flash work as the camera is going to try to expose for ambient light and then just fill with flash. Using Shutter priority also isn't great as there is a good chance the camera will stop you down to f2.8 giving the same issue as we have with the depth of field in your group. Program mode, I've no idea how the camera is going to want to work, but likely either the shutter or aperture won't be what you desire so when I'm shooting flash, be it indoors or out I'm 95% of the time doing it manually. There are times in good light when I want a splash of fill flash that I will use shutter priority at 1/200s which is the sync on most of my cameras, the camera then will select the aperture (if I've got my ISO correct then that will be where I desire the aperture to be) and then let the flash fill. This is rare and getting rarer as I like to have the full control over the shot rather than letting the camera guess what might be right. This is mainly useful when working fast in changing light.

My general settings for flash indoors are to be in manual mode, with an exposure about 2 stops under ambient then flash on TTL to expose the faces. I will then use flash compensation to correct depending on the colours of clothes.

If I'm not shooting fast and can set up the scene then the flash is on manual as well, for this I need to stay the same distance away from the subjects with the flash, but there is much more consistency.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:42 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'll defer to Mark on that.
I was already writing LOL