Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:12 AM   #1

Default Another lens choice thread (I tried not to, I really did!)

I have read, and read, and read. I got advice in the What Camera Should I Buy thread (very helpful btw) to go with the Tamron 18-250.

I plan on getting the a500. And I was going to get the Tamron 18-250 but I can't seem to find one now that it's discontinued. I know a 2-kit lens seems to be the preferred way to go so I haven't ruled it out. Something like the 18-250 just seems like it might be a good option for me to at least learn with. I know that whatever lens(es) I end up with, I want something that covers that range.

I take pictures of my kids (3 & 10), landscapes, and some macro. I have an H-5 at the moment which I tend to use the zoom on quite a bit. I have some back issues that limit my mobility and tend to sit in a somewhat fixed location and zoom in and out to track my 3 yr old.

It's late and I can't think of what else I should mention except that my lens budget is probably 300-400. I'm not opposed to use lenses from places like adorama or keh.

Thanks in advance (I promise to quit bugging you after this...at least for awhile

Diana

Last edited by purpleehobbit; Sep 6, 2010 at 3:14 AM. Reason: Typos
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:19 AM   #2

The 18-250 from tamron is discontinued it will be replace by the 18-270mm instead. But it is not out yet.

I would wait for the tamron 18-270. But if you need a longer lens, the sigma 18-250 would be an option.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:34 AM   #3

As good as the Tamron 18-250 and 18-270 are, multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges will give you better image quality and cost less. (BTW, the Sony version of the Tamron 18-250 is still available, but it costs more and has a 1 year warranty instead of Tamron's 6 year warranty.) The Sony 18-55 kit lens and a Tamron 70-300 Di LD 1:2 Macro ($165) will give you better image quality than either the 18-250 or the 18-270, where their ranges overlap.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:48 AM   #4

BTW, don't worry about starting a new thread if you can't find info on your specific concern. Your particular circumstances might alter the recommendations, so buying something that's good for someone else might not be the best choice for you. Plus, things change. New products come onto the market, older products get improved or discontinued, so what may have been the best choice for someone in identical circumstances 1 year ago, may not be the best choice for you today.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:49 AM   #5

the 70-300mm is soft from 200-300mm, it is a bottom of the barrel lens but one of the better ones from down there.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the 70-300mm is soft from 200-300mm, it is a bottom of the barrel lens but one of the better ones from down there.
For a "bottom of the barrel lens", it outperforms the Tamron 18-250 and 18-270 quite handily.

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF (Tested)

... versus ...

Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested)
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested)

It's not a great lens, but it is a great value. And it's clearly better than the 'jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none' lenses.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:16 AM   #7

That is why I said it one of the better ones down there.

But you are comparing apples and oranges. For a one lens option. What you get from the 18-270 or 18-250 they are pretty good compare to other 1 lens option.

But when you compare the 70-300 to other 70-300 on the market. It is really not that good of a lens. The bad thing with sony is that the only other 70-300mm lens is a 800 70-300mm G. Which is an excellent lens. But they do not have any mid grade 70-300 options.

Purplehobbit, has express interest in an one lens option. So the tammy 70-300 would not fit that need. Even if she went with a 2 lens option. It is not a great lens by any mean. Just a get by lens. So it may be a good value, but it is not a value if it does not meet one's needs.

Personally if I were going with a sony A5xx I would go with the 2 lens option with the 70-300G and accept the gap in coverage from 55-70mm. But that is me needs, not the op's.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleehobbit View Post
......my lens budget is probably 300-400. I'm not opposed to use lenses from places like adorama or keh....
I've got a really helpful guide to selecting used lenses - something a customer sent to me, not an Adorama thing - that I'll happilly send you if you drop me an email.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:18 PM   #9

Quote:
... Purplehobbit, has express interest in an one lens option. ...
Actually, that's not true. In fact, on multiple ocassions, Purplehobbit has expressed a desire for multiple lenses:

Quote:
... When it comes to lens, I know I definitely want something for portraits. Landscapes and general shooting would be next on my list, followed by zoom. ...
Quote:
... I think I'd rather invest in another lens or an external flash. ...
In fact, in all the topics where you and Purplehobbit participated, even you never recommended a "one lens option".

I agree that the Tamron 70-300 Di LD isn't a great lens, but it is better than anything else close to its range at up to twice the price, which makes it a great value. As in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
It's not a great lens, but it is a great value.
and that goes for the Canon and Nikon mounts as well. And while the differences in price between it an the better lenses from Canon and Nikon are less than between it and the Sony, so are the differences in quality.

Quote:
Personally if I were going with a sony A5xx I would go with the 2 lens option with the 70-300G and accept the gap in coverage from 55-70mm.
I agree, but given purpleehobbit's discussion on the price differences among the A500, A550 & A560, I presume there's a budgetary constraint, and that the 70-300 'G' is likely to exceed that. And, of course, the 'G' is a lot bigger and a lot heavier than the Tamron, and that is definately a concern that purpleehobbit has mentioned.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:26 PM   #10

I know that a lens with this large of range won't perform as well as 2 lenses with shorter ranges. This is my dslr, and I thought that while it wouldn't be the best, it might work to help me make my transition and I wouldn't have to change lenses right away.

My only concern with the kit lens, is that I worry that I will wish the 55 end was longer. I know that I'm going to have to get used to changing lenses, I guess I was putting it off till I got more comfortable with the camera, if that makes sense.

So if I went with a 2 lens solution, what do you think about something like the Sigma 17-70 and the Tamron 70-300. The sigma seems like it's a brighter lens than the Sony kit lens, and a little further reach, but not as extreme? I know it goes over my budget for lenses, but I'd maybe just wait a month on the external flash and spread out the cost a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
BTW, don't worry about starting a new thread if you can't find info on your specific concern. Your particular circumstances might alter the recommendations, so buying something that's good for someone else might not be the best choice for you. Plus, things change. New products come onto the market, older products get improved or discontinued, so what may have been the best choice for someone in identical circumstances 1 year ago, may not be the best choice for you today.
I guess I was just hesitant as I didn't want anyone to think I wanted someone else to all my research work for me Again, thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote