Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Default Your travel kit?

This the third trip I've taken this summer without my normal travel kit which consist of a KM 5D, Sony 18-250, and a Minolta 50.1.7. That is an excellent small travel kit. There on loan until next month so I've been forced to use my A700 and a different variety of lenses then I would normally travel with. I have always try to take the minimal amount of gear when traveling. All of my vacations are not photo trips but usually family or fishing trips so I don't like having lots of photo gear to deal with but like most of us here I like taking good photo's.
Since acquiring some new lenses I've had the opportunity to try some new traveling combos.

I've found a new excellent travel kit is the Tamron 17-50 along with the Sony 55-200 and a flash if there's room. This combo gives you similar coverage but a huge advantage of having f/2.8 up to 50mm, thats nice! I would say that both these lenses give excellent results, there small and light.

I have also inherited a few camera bags and have discovered there is no perfect travel bag but one of the bags I've inherited the Tamrac model 706 seems to be the closest thing to perfect so far for going on a family vacation.
With this bag I can fit the combo mentioned above with the flash and I can squeeze in a macro and fisheye if desired.

So to sum it up.

Kit #1. KM5D, Sony 18-250 and small fast prime (28f/2 or 50f/1.7).

Kit #2. A700, Tamron 17-50, Sony 55-200.

Do you have a travel kit?
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:06 PM   #2

I was always quite pleased with the results I got from my Tamron 17-50/2.8 and my Beercan. Everything else I could leave home, and in a pinch, I'd leave the Beercan home, but only if I was really strapped for space. In those situations, I suppose a Sony/Tamron 55-200 would have filled in nicely.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:00 PM   #3

The Sony 55-200 SAM is a very underrated lens. I did a lens comparison with the Sony 55-200SAM, Minolta 70-210 f/4, Sony 70-300G and the 70-400G. I used an A700 mounted on a tripod with 2 second timer and shot a stationary table with miscellaneous objects on it about 30 feet away. Then pixel peeped with a friend to come to my conclusion.

I loved my old beercan and have some great shots with it but; It was the least sharp of the bunch and had less contrast then the others with the most CA. The 70-400G was by far the best of the bunch with the other two closer then you would think. I just sold my beercan and don't really miss it.

This last trip out with the 55-200 I did see some vignetting that I had not noticed before. Never had that problem with the beercan. But taking into consideration the size, weight and sharpness of this lens it does make a very good combo with the Tamron 17-50 for traveling light.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote