Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:02 PM   #1

Default 70-300mm vs beercan?

How do the Tamron 70-300mm Di and the Minolta 70-210mm compare? I got the Tamron cheap ($50), but I've seen some decent beercan's for only a bit more on Craigslist, so I could easily sell the Tamron and get the Minolta.
From what I've heard, the Minolta is faster at all ranges except 70mm, and is optically better (sharper, less CA, etc.). Plus it has better bokeh and colors, from what I've read.
How is the Minolta on focusing speed (compared with tammy)?
And mainly how is the Minolta on macro? I use the Tamron almost exclusively for that, and I don't want to loose a too much in that area. At least til I get a dedicated macro.
At that price I can afford both quite easily, but I would like to only have one telephoto to carry around.
Oh, and I don't care too much about the tele range difference. on my Tamron, the 180mm and the 300mm difference only comes in handy for birds etc.
This lens is so legendary I think I have to buy it even if I never use it (especially before they come ridiculously priced)!
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:17 PM   #2

I can't comment on the Tamron but I will say the beercan is an excellent lens for the money but does cost more then $50. It does focus quick compared to some lenses I've used. For macro, it's not really meant for that but I guess it should do until you get your macro.

Here's an example.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:05 PM   #3

Well, that picture is fantastic! And I can always crop if I need any closer.
Plus this seems like it is about the fastest tele I can get for cheap, so it looks like I'm going to go for it.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:17 PM   #4

The Beercan only goes to 1:4 macro, while the Tamron goes to 1:2. I've used my Beercan with a 12mm extension tube with great results, but the DoF is very shallow and the range of focus is very limited.

The Beercan's constant f/4 aperture is very nice, and my copy was always sharp with little CA. And I never had a problem with the focusing speed. But the Tamron is longer, focuses closer and it's smaller and lighter.

See my Beercan Set on Flickr.com: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tcav/se...7624492303212/

Last edited by TCav; Sep 12, 2010 at 8:21 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:37 PM   #5

well, maybe I'll keep both and just use the Tamron for macro till I get a dedicated one.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:56 PM   #6

Since you don't have a lot of money invested, and it seems you won't, get both and see how you like them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote