Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:11 PM   #1

Default Sony SAL-18200 18-200MM F/3.5 - 6.3 LENS

How good is this lens for an all around lens?
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:48 PM   #2

I've heard it's pretty bad (poor focus, slow apeture, bad IQ) although if you REALLY need an all around, it could be okay. But apparently the Tamorn (or sony or sigma) 18-250m is the best for all around - even getting close to the nikkor 18-200 which is one of Nikons most popular. But those run at twice the price.
Apparently, the 18-200 isn't even par with the 18-70 kit lens. So I went with the Tamron 70-300mm. Faster, better quality. And then I can get the 17-50, which is apparently a nice lens.

Just my two cents. I am far from being expert, I was facing the same decision, and Im happy with how it turned out. Plus I got it used so I had money to buy a 50mm 1.7
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:50 PM   #3

It's soft and has a lot of CA at the extremes, and has a lot of distortion and vignetting at the wide end. See Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DT SAL-18200 (Tested)

No 'jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none' lens is going to outperform multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges for the same money.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 15, 2010 at 4:53 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:47 AM   #4

To be honest I like the lens, I think it's luck on which one you get. Mine is far superior to my kit lens. I'll be uploading more pics on flickr but, until then you can check out the first batch with the camera. Flickr.com/hercules71185
The most recent ones might be over sharpened because I only intended to use them on facebook.
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:40 AM   #5

ive never tried the 18-200, but i absolutley love my Sony 18-250 as an all round lens, I have quite a few other lenses, but this one gets alot of use
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:14 AM   #6

A late posting to this thread but I pulled my old 18-200mm out of a cupboard this morning and starting shooting because I've been looking to buy a new Lumix 100-300mm lens for my G1 and GF-1.

While everyone is praising the new Lumix lens I've not been convinced by its performance so I thought I'd do some comparisons. Amazingly this old lens seems sharper than the new Lumix and what a range.

I know the 18200 got a bad press when it came out but I'm finding this sharper than my Lumix 45-200 and looks sharper than the 100-300.
I've rediscovered it

It makes a wonderful holiday lens , has convinced me that I now need an A55 to replace my A350 and seems to focus fast enough.
It's also lighter than my CZ 16-80
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:42 AM   #7

For most uses and under most conditions, the 18-200 and 18-250 will perform adequately.

But for some uses and under some conditions, its flaws will reveal themselves. If you've been able to deal with them, congratulations; if you haven't experienced them, congratulations. But objective tests show that they're not very good lenses, and they're expensive for what they do.

At what price convenience?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:44 AM   #8

BTW, they also block the built-in flash, so if you intend to use them indoors at wide angles, you should get an external flash.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:49 AM   #9

Just looking at those test results at slrgear and the CA of my copy isn't bad at all.
In fact overall it seems a darn sight better than that web site would have you believe.
Perhaps I have THE good copy
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:46 AM   #10

... or perhaps you just haven't encountered the circumstances that would make it more apparent.