Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Default Lens help please

I currently have the a300 but i'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the a580 when it comes out but more research will be done before final decision.

Right now I shoot mainly with my minolta 50mm f/1.7 and I love it, very sharp and great for my indoor low light situation. My only problem is the focal lenght. Most of my pics look like the photo attached and not that I dont love my daughters pretty face up close I would just like a little more of her while still staying close. My sons like to run and stand right in front of the camera when i'm taking pics of them also so most of my pics are real close up faces.

I would need something thats compatible with the a300 and the a580 (if I get it).

My budget = under $350.

I really dont care if its minolta, tamron, sony etc. I was thinking a 28mm or even a 17-50mm.

What are your thoughts, what would you recommend?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate all the info/advice.
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:15 PM   #2

If you shop carefully the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 Di II can be had within your budget on the used market. I purchased one for my A550 based on recomendations made here and have been thrilled with the quality and results.

The 50mm Minolta is a great lens but with the APS-C crop factor it does push us back a bit. If you prefer to stick with prime lenses the 24mm has a wider angle of view than the 28mm but is more expensive. (Minolta lenses)

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:27 PM   #3

The new Sony 35mm f/1.8 should be available shortly for about $200. It has an angle of view about 1/3 wider than the 50/1.7 you already have. Anything wider and with a similar large aperture will cost a lot more.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 that Old Boat Guy mentioned is also a good choice, but probably a bit outside your budget.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:19 PM   #4

Thank you Old Boat Guy, I saw that one on ebay for about $375 I think so maybe I can make that work.

TCav do you think that the Tamron 17-50 is worth the extra $? I do need the larger aperature like my f/1.7 though so i'm not sure about getting a f/2.8. Aperature aside do you think the Tamron is a better buy than the Sony 35mm?

TCav we've spoken before about camera upgrade, do you think Sony will be coming out with a a7xx to replace the a700?

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie26 View Post
TCav do you think that the Tamron 17-50 is worth the extra $? I do need the larger aperature like my f/1.7 though so i'm not sure about getting a f/2.8. Aperature aside do you think the Tamron is a better buy than the Sony 35mm?
The photo you posted above was shot at 1/100 and f/4.0, so I suspect that you can afford the loss of over a full f-stop in the lens' maximum aperture, and the zoom of the Tamron will benefit you more than the shorter focal length of the 35mm prime. It's more than double the price, but it's money well spent.

Quote:
TCav we've spoken before about camera upgrade, do you think Sony will be coming out with a a7xx to replace the a700?
I think we'll probably find out for certain in a week or so.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:31 PM   #6

Debbie. I got mine for $330.00 (used for about six months) off of eBay not that long ago but have not followed the prices since.

I just looked and there are several listed at $359 (new) with free shipping out of Canada. I do not know if that might present a USA warranty issue.

It is sort of funny but I asked TCav this same aperture question when I was shopping a short lens to go with my 50 mm f/1.7.

The short answer is I have not encountered any issues that were not of my own making in the first place.. My problem was putting my subjects right in front of whatever the background might have been. Once I stopped doing that and moved people out a bit the f/2.8 has not presented any DOF limitations that I can see.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:09 PM   #7

TCav I appreciate your info. That pic was taken outside mid day under shade but most of my pics are taken inside and my usual settings are 1/100 f/1.7. Any idea on what the shutter speed would be with a f/2.8 if normally i'm at f/1.7 1/100?

Regarding the a7xx, i'm looking forward to that info .

Old Boat Guy the DOF is not really my issue with the f/1.7 it does bother me sometimes but if I had better lighting I can change my aperature and be happier so it comes down to my crappy indoor lighting. I think the Tamron 17-50 would be an awesome lens for me but i'm just a little worried about what my SS would be while doing indoor shoots of my kids.

Thanks guys, I can always come here and get valuable info.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:58 PM   #8

Quote:
TCav I appreciate your info. That pic was taken outside mid day under shade but most of my pics are taken inside and my usual settings are 1/100 f/1.7. Any idea on what the shutter speed would be with a f/2.8 if normally i'm at f/1.7 1/100?
I'f you're getting 1/100 at f/1.7, at f/2.8, you'll get about 1/40. You can also make up for that by increasing the ISO a little too. The difference in noise between ISO 100 and ISO 200 isn't much, and neither is the difference between ISO 200 and ISO 400.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:07 PM   #9

My a300 has very noticable noise at ISO 400 but i'm pretty sure the a580 will handle noise way better than the a300, right?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:27 PM   #10

Quote:
My a300 has very noticable noise at ISO 400 ...
But you can probably get what you wnat at ISO 200, and a slower shutter speed.

Quote:
... but i'm pretty sure the a580 will handle noise way better than the a300, right?
I have no way of knowing, but I suspect that will be the case.