Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Default TC for APO lenses?

I have started shooting High School football games for our local paper. (trying to anyway, lucky for me it is a small paper)

I use an older Black 80-200mm f/2.8 and a 1993 vintage White 300mm f/2.8. The newer lens does focus just a bit faster than the older zoom on my A550 but the variable focal length sure is nice to have. Not to mention what a pain in the in the rear it can be trying to swap big lenses in real time.

I have read that not all TC's are compatible with the APO lenses and of the ones that will work not all are created equal.

This may be a misconception but based on what I have read the x-1.4 does not lose as much light as the x-2.0 versions.

Would I still able to use the cameras internal TC if using an external TC?

Thank you for any input

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Sep 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:02 PM   #2

Almost anything you could want to know about A-Mount Teleconverters is here:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/amount-t...topic2100.html
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:12 PM   #3

Thank you for the great link TCav.

I did find what I was looking for. From what I think I am seeing the Kenko seems the way to go. I have a 2x Minolta TC that has the wandering focus issues on the 300mm in lower light. It seems the Minolta TC's are generation specific to a degree. Worst case I will have to update my zoom lens to a second generation lens. Or just have a second TC at 1.4x for the prime to save the extra stop for shooting under lights.

Steve
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
... From what I think I am seeing the Kenko seems the way to go. ...
Remember that Kenko has two product lines. The TelePlus is the generic teleconverters that will work with any lens (and is often sold under other brand names), but they aren't as good as the Pro 300 which is the matched teleconverters.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:11 PM   #5

This is the series on their list and I did catch the part about the matched verses the generic. Complex little suckers

http://www.kenkoglobal.com/TP-PRO300AF-DGX1_4-2X.html I am not sure how I missed this but the Kenko site no longer lists this in the A mount. Has it been discontinued?

On page twelve of the thread at Dyxum someone had a scan of the compatibility list and it showed both the zoom and prime in the G series. (this is the TC that does not appear to be listed)

My zoom is earlier than the G lenses (the G series zoom first released in 1993). Doing sports it is probably a good idea to upgrade my zoom to the slightly faster focus though the focus speed difference seems minimal in Alpha bodies after the A100.

Upgrading both lenses to the latest models is out of the question right now but even small gains are still gains. I do not own the latest and greatest but thanks to the advice and guidance of yourself and others here I have managed to put together a nice kit. I am not going to hit the limitations of the equipment any time soon. (if at all)

I have a long way to go but am out shooting every weekend with my results improving each time. No real money yet but I am having great fun getting out and getting the shots. Three different games last weekend with two tomorrow night.

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Sep 17, 2010 at 2:11 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
http://www.kenkoglobal.com/TP-PRO300AF-DGX1_4-2X.html I am not sure how I missed this but the Kenko site no longer lists this in the A mount. Has it been discontinued?
It seems so. The Pro 300 3X is still available at Adorama B&H, but the 2X and 1.4X are gone. They may just be selling off existing stock.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:35 AM   #7

Check out my thread in this forum titled "Sony A200 super tele-combo". You should have no trouble with a decent 1.4x teleconverter on either of those lenses that you mentioned.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote